Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Half-in - half out dome shots

Started by Andy Davies ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Half-in - half out dome shots

8 posts
  1. What's the best way to break down the surface tension of the water droplets on the part of the dome that is half-out of the water?

     

    Thanks

     

    Andy

  2. If it's a glass dome then Rain-X works best (it will damage acrylic). If it's an acrylic dome, pledge (furniture wax) or spit.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Sorry, I should have said it is an Aquatica 8" acrylic port. Thanks for the tip.

     

    Andy

  4. I've just bought some Pledge that has 5-15% aliphatic hydrocarbons as well as 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol, perfume, Limonene and linalool. I guess this is not a wax product as it says on the bottle "No wax build-up"

  5. I've always been a bit worried about contaminating the sea with hydrocarbons and so on. Spit is OK, but who has enough for a big dome?

     

    Since good over/unders are taken in flat calm water, the solution is obvious: keep the dome out of the waves until you shoot!

     

    And the real solution for the 21st century? Shoot three or four frames and use photoshop to assemble an image without annoying droplets!

     

     

     

    post-4522-1245783308.jpg post-4522-1245783321.jpg

     

     

    Both assembled from 3 sequential images taken in choppy conditions. I also think that a few droplets add artistic verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing (visual) narrative viz WS Gilbert...

     

    Tim

     

    :angry:

  6. I'm shooting fast moving (sometimes) puffins mostly from underwater but am hoping to get some over and under shots as well. Just need a product that breaks downthe surface tension. Someone has recommended car polish.

     

    Andy

  7. Mikes point?

  8. I've personally found spit to work the best. I even tried Rain-X for the first time last week (on a glass dome) and it did not work as advertised, so i ended up spitting on the dome at the last minute and it worked like a charm. Ill try Rain-X again, but it actually made the droplet buildup worse, despite everyone's raving about it including the lady in the store who uses it religiously on her car.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.