Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Completely Stumped!

Started by Bud Barr ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Completely Stumped!

5 posts
  1. Found this in Dominica at 25 feet, sandy bottom, riding on the side of a furry sea cucumber.I've been looking at both nudi and anemone pictures but nothing seems to fit. Anyone have any ideas?

     

    425i5jn7w4.jpg

     

    ivfykznezt.jpg

     

    zridv1nklx.jpg

     

    9xdlx2wkst.jpg

     

     

    Bud

    Edited by Bud Barr
  2. It has some similarities to a Berried anemone: Alicia mirabilis. I wonder if it is a juvenile of it or a related species. It certainly is in an odd location, but I guess it's a slightly faster method of locomotion!

    Here is a link to an adult one that is contracted.

    http://siteasberre.free.fr/Section%20Plong...E_URTICANTE.JPG

    Cheers,

    Marli

    Edited by scubamarli
  3. Definitely an anemone although not Alicia since the external papillae on that one look like tiny clusters of grapes. Many anemones have these external papillae on their columns.

  4. Thanks Marli and Leslie!

     

    I agree it's probably an anemone. Are there any web sites to submit anemone pics to, like seaslugforum.net for sea slugs, for identification?

     

    I'm thinking, with this find, I could be famous within my small dive group :)

     

    Bud

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.