Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Filters for natural light

Started by Ron Boyes ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Filters for natural light

3 posts
  1. Hi Guys,

     

    I have read some articles concerning using filters etc - they get way too technical for me.

     

    What setup do you recommend for me to try in the following application:

     

    Nikon D100, 12-24mm Lens Subal Housing and dome port.

     

    The subject will be Mantas in 7m depth - viz will be average to good (I hope)

     

    I have visited this site before and used twin YS 120 strobes on a F90 with some good results.

     

    Thanks

    ron

  2. Hi Ron,

     

    Will you be using a diopter with the lens?

     

    If so, that might limit your choices, as I have heard (haven't tried) that if you stack filter rings on the 12-24DX you will get vignetting.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. I would use the Hoya FL-D at 7m. It has the advantage of being more flexible. An FL-B filter will be too strong at that depth but still managable.

     

    If you use a diopter, the filter may have to go on first since the diopter will protrude from the lens ring. Mild vignetting does occur and clears up by 14mm. I suspect you could use the 77mm diopter, then a 77-82 adapter ring, and finally an 82mm filter. I don't have the parts to test that, though.

     

    You may be able to delete the diopter for manta rays since the subject distance won't be so close.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.