Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Which Pelican for housing and port

Started by Rattus ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Which Pelican for housing and port

8 posts
  1. Hi folks,

     

    Now I've got my DX30/60 housing and large dome port, I need something to keep them safe and sound in transit. I'm thinking that it would be a good plan to get a Peli case big enough to take both the current kit and also arm(s) and strobe(s) that I'll get later.

     

    Looking at the internal dimensions it would appear that either the 1610 or the 1620 would be good, though I may have to tilt the port in the 1610 to get enough room for a decent amount of padding.

     

    I'd really like to know what other people have for similar systems, in particular those with large ports.

     

    I'd really like to get something with an O-ring seal, and unfortunately Uderwater Kinetics don't make cases with sufficient depth. So Peli look like my best bet. Luckily Robert White appear to have some great prices on them. They're going to love me by the time I'm done.

     

    Thanks ppl

     

    Martyn

  2. Martyn,

     

    I've got my DX3060 in a 1550, but I've got the small dome port and an NX Zoom port. I doubt that you'd be able to comfortably put the housing, FE dome, and strobes / arms in the 1550, so the 1610 would probably be the minimum size you'd want.

     

    Tom

  3. Thanks Tom,

     

    I assume in your configuration the housing is laid flat with the ports next to it.

     

    My plan was to put the housing upright (handles pointing up towards the lid) with the port in the same orientation next to it, leaving a load of room for expansion beyond that.

     

    I'd be interested to know how other people have handled housing these large domes. I would have to get the trickiest bit to transport first, wouldn't I?

     

    Cheers

     

    Martyn

  4. My housing is on it's back, with the dome port on it's side, and the NX port also standing up straight.

     

    Actually, transporting / size was the reason I didn't get the larger dome port, too damn big. Of course I screwed myself getting the smaller one but that's another story entirely. :rolleyes:

  5. I like the Storm cases. They come is sizes matching the Pelicans and are a little bit lighter. Try not to get a case bigger than you need since they get heavy quick.

  6. Hi Craig,

     

    That's a good point about weight, yet another factor to bear in mind, opposite the reticence to buy a new case each time I add new kit. Hmm tricky

     

    The Hardigg Storm cases do look great, and about 10% lighter than the Peli equivalent. I've been unable to find anywhere in the UK that sells them though. It's only the armed forces type cases that UK distributors seem to carry. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

     

    Thanks

     

    Martyn

  7. The other option would be to try and get everything in a Porter Case, and carry it on. Heavy, but the Porter Case actually acts as a luggage cart.

     

    Porter Case website

  8. I love my Porter case but the Sea & Sea housing plus large dome would completely fill it and take some doing to get it in. That big dome can be tough to pack.

     

    I travel with a Porter case and deliberately omit wheels on my big luggage. You'd be amzed how much weight that saves.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.