I used this review to finally justify pulling the trigger on the Nikon AW110. I wanted something primarily for rafting, kayaking, skiing and beach photos and light duty snorkeling. I absolutely will not take a DSLR near the beach/sand, something that ultimately was the undoing of even this camera. And I need something pockatable and quick for watersports. Manual control is cool but just gets in the way when trying to snap photos from a kayak. I have a Canon S100 already.
Technically, the TG2 would probably be the best for snorkeling and a backup to the DSLR rig with its larger aperture, limited manual control and add-on WA lens, but the $150 extra cost on the Oly plus better GPS and wifi made me choose the Nikon. The review gave one more point to the Nikon, even though I'm sure the Oly IQ is better, this was all the cognitive dissonance I needed.
I'm not sorry. The IQ is fine. Lots of keepers. It's fun to shoot and throw it in the beach bag. The GPS is astounding. Amazing placemark database and very good worldwide maps. Ability to upload photos to the iphone to post to facebook on vacation using the same app I use for the D600 is handy. 60 ft. rating means I could technically take it on dives. I've used it on ski trips since and I feel better about whipping it out in a snowstorm than I do with the S100.
Ultimately, the first model I had failed. About halfway through the trip and after about 10 snorkeling trips I noticed water fogging the rear LCD and a few drops inside the battery door. I left It open in the hotel room to dry out overnight, but then the screen stopped working. It seems to be a fairly common problem with these according to the reviews on Amazon. Not just the Nikon but any of these in the test. I exchanged it at COSTCO and they gave me a new one plus $25 as the price had dropped still farther in the 3 weeks I had it. I suspect that fine sand in the seal was the culprit. In the future I will do more to protect it from sand. But given that beach use it the whole point of these, I'm glad I didn't spend $150 more on the Oly and very glad to have COSTCOs return policy.