Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

What is it?

Started by PIG004 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

What is it?

4 posts
  1. About 4 cm long found about 10 mtrs from a wall at 12 mtrs over deep water in Palau.

    post-11393-1246725707.jpg

  2. I'm not sure of the species but it's a pelagic snail. They spend their entire lives swimming which is made possible by the development of a swimming fin and reduction in the size & weight of the shell. If this had been found off California I would call it Carinaria cristata. You can try to figure out the species using the character table on this page:

    http://tolweb.org/Carinaria/28741

  3. Very cool picture.

     

    I'm sure Leslie is right, but to me it looks more like some kind of giant space monster....

  4. Yes I call the shot 'Starship Critter'.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.