Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Exhibition: Eric Cheng's underwater photography, Jul/Aug 2009

Started by echeng ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Exhibition: Eric Cheng's underwater photography, Jul/Aug 2009

16 posts
  1. Eric-Cheng-TACC-Flyer-600.jpg

     

    The Taiwanese American Community Center of San Diego has just moved to a new location and is proud to present an exhibition of underwater imagery by photographer Eric Cheng (http://echeng.com). The exhibit includes 14 vibrant, aluminum prints of marine wildlife including sharks, whales, waves, jellyfish, and corals. The show opens on Tuesday, July 7, 2009, and runs through August 8, 2009.

     

    Meet Eric at an open reception on Saturday, July 11, 2009 between 1PM-5PM.

     

    Location:

    Taiwanese American Community Center

    7838 Wilkerson Ct., San Diego, CA 92111

     

    Exhibition dates:

    July 7 through August 8, 2009

     

    After the San Diego show, Eric's prints will be on display at The G2 Gallery (http://theg2gallery.com) in Venice, Los Angeles from August 11 - September 20, 2009.

     

    NOTE: You can see a preview of Eric's show here: http://echeng.com/journal/2009/05/24/under...ne-august-2009/ . Please come see the aluminum prints in person — photos of the space do not do them justice!

  2. Looks stunning. Little far away for me to come, hope to get a chance to see the prints in the flesh sometime soon.

     

    Alex

  3. Congrats. I am not in the area but would love to see it.

     

    Cheers

     

    Todd

  4. This looks great! I went to Eric's Galapagos exhibition at the Taiwanese American Community Center a few years back and it was excellent. Nothing like seeing big beautiful prints.

     

    James

  5. Great Eric; the aluminum process sounds beautiful. I've never seen it in real life.

    Can you describe the appearance a little and your reason for choosing this process?

  6. Now that looks cool... Nice one Eric... :nea:

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  7. Looks great Eric, wish I could make the opening but leaving on a trip Saturday. Im really curious about these new aluminum prints. Best of luck!

  8. Hey guys. Hope to see some of you there for the opening! For those of you who can't make it, the show runs for a full month and then heads up to LA, so there is plenty of time.

     

    I used Image Wizards' Illuminarte product for the show. You'll see them as an advertiser here on Wetpixel and in Wetpixel Quarterly using a quote from Stephen Frink, so a few underwater types have already discovered them. Their service is fantastic, and everything comes packed in rugged wooden crates, ready to ship to clients.

    http://imagewizards.net/

     

    Here's a link where you can see how they pack images. There are also some close-ups of the prints:

    http://photos.echeng.com/gallery/8310134_s...544315977_YppRg

    Edited by echeng
  9. Eric

     

    is this the same process that CK used in there steel advertising campaign a few years back or is this something completely different? Would love to come to the gallery in person but not gonna happen unless something pops up :nea:. Any chance of any of these images making it to DEMA?

  10. Good luck with the exhibition Eric - I hope that it is a big success for you and the community centre

  11. The exhibit looks great, Eric, and some gorgeous shots! :nea: I was just in San Diego last week, so I just missed it! Damn!

     

    Looks like a really a nice gallery, with plenty of space and good lighting!

  12. Eric

     

    is this the same process that CK used in there steel advertising campaign a few years back or is this something completely different? Would love to come to the gallery in person but not gonna happen unless something pops up :nea: . Any chance of any of these images making it to DEMA?

     

    I'm not sure what process they used, but I really like the look of the ones I had made. I hope to be able to bring at least one of them to DEMA. We'll see!

  13. Damn! I have a noon private charter booked for the 11th - I suspect I'll not be back in time to be dressed reasonably for an exhibition (unless damp Weezles, mask face, and flipflops will get me in). Eric, if you're around for a bit, let us know - I am sure you'll find a few WPers up for a meet and greet.

     

    I'll make it a point to get to the exhibition while it's here, for sure!

  14. I'm not sure what process they used, but I really like the look of the ones I had made. I hope to be able to bring at least one of them to DEMA. We'll see!

    Eric: The gallery show looks amazing! I wish I was on the west coast I'd be there in a heartbeat! Congratulations on the show. I hope you'll post some close-ups in a report on the opening and if DEMA doesn't give you the space for a gallery show I'd be unpleasantly surprised.

  15. What a fantastic exhibition!

     

    The photos really look stunning in person.

     

    And what is particularly gratifying is to see this art displayed in a gallery setting--there should be more like this!

     

    Great work, Eric!!

     

    Here's a quick shot of Eric and my hero Chuck Nicklin at the reception today:

     

    eric_chuck.jpg

     

    Mary Lynn

  16. Hey, Mary Lynn! It was great to see you and Chuck at the show. Thank you so much for coming. I think your little point & shoot did a better job on that photo than did my 1Ds3 / speedlight combo!

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.