Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Underwater Performance: Canon 5D Mark II vs. Sony HC7

Started by mexwell ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Underwater Performance: Canon 5D Mark II vs. Sony HC7

9 posts
  1. Hello everybody!

     

    I just created a short comparison video containing similar scenes from both cameras.

     

    Of course this is no scientific test but I think it represents the real life behavior quite realistic.

    Actually it sums up two weeks of experience of filming with the 5D MK II.

     

    Befor I write my conclusions about the strengths and weaknesses of both systems,

    I am very interested in your opinions!

     

    Link: http://www.belowthesurface.de then click "Comparison HC7-5D MK II" in the menu.

     

    What do you think?

    Edited by mexwell
  2. Impressive! The savings must be huge for someone who wants to take both stills and video if they go with the 5D mkII.

     

    What I'd really like to see is how it compares with one of those larger video rigs (not familiar with the equipment at all to name a model).

  3. How easy is editing the H264 files that it outputs? Do you convert to another codec like Pro Res? Also is the 5DMk2 limited to 3 mins of video clip length?

     

    Cheers

     

    Jon

  4. Jon,

     

    unfortunately H.264 is not designed for editing and very sluggish to use.

    I am using EDIUS Neo 2 (thanks to Wags!) and am doing a batch convert

    of all the clips to the lossless Canopus HQ codec before I start editing.

     

    Then editing works like a charm! Of course it does, it is EDIUS ;-)

  5. How long does the conversion take and what PC power have you got?

  6. Hello everybody!

     

    I just created a short comparison video containing similar scenes from both cameras.

     

    Of course this is no scientific test but I think it represents the real life behavior quite realistic.

    Actually it sums up two weeks of experience of filming with the 5D MK II.

     

    Befor I write my conclusions about the strengths and weaknesses of both systems,

    I am very interested in your opinions!

     

    Link: http://www.belowthesurface.de then click "Comparison HC7-5D MK II" in the menu.

     

    What do you think?

     

     

    Looks good, notice some shutter rolling, but did not know how much of it is compression/upload/chaning frame rates. Overall how did you find it work work (in other words would you carry the 5D in lieu of the HC-7, or still carry both.)

     

    I carry too much it seems sometimes, and I am about this > < close to the 5D.

  7. I carry too much it seems sometimes, and I am about this > < close to the 5D.

     

    Its ability in poor conditions (I've had to shoot in as little as 2m vis for the program I'm working on and in currents too) with the 15mm fisheye is very good indeed. I'd go as far as to say that the combination in a smallish housing (I'm using a Seacam) makes shots possible that I don't think that I could have produced easily otherwise (and certainly not within budget). Its far from perfect but at the end of the day good content will largely negate technicalities IMHO. All this said I accept that my requirements are very specific and the issues I face are not everyone's.

  8. Its ability in poor conditions (I've had to shoot in as little as 2m vis for the program I'm working on and in currents too) with the 15mm fisheye is very good indeed. I'd go as far as to say that the combination in a smallish housing (I'm using a Seacam) makes shots possible that I don't think that I could have produced easily otherwise (and certainly not within budget). Its far from perfect but at the end of the day good content will largely negate technicalities IMHO. All this said I accept that my requirements are very specific and the issues I face are not everyone's.

     

     

    Thanks for the info. Downloaded the manual to see how it operates in video mode. Looks interesting. It is really too tempting.

  9. Overall how did you find it work work (in other words would you carry the 5D in lieu of the HC-7, or still carry both.)

     

    Well Drew,

     

    filming those two cameras is really different.

     

    No autofokus on the 5D. Because of that you have to carefully choose the lens setup and "know"

    the DOF you can archive with your lenses and the aperture settings.

     

    Second, you loose a lot of versatility underwater. Just like DSLR photography. The whaleshark will

    aproach you right in that dive when you have the 100mm macro mounted. I had that excact event

    with my close up lens mounted to the HC7 when a 4m long Dougong joined.... Filmed a nice closeup

    of the mouth... ;-)

     

    Depending on your choice of glas you loose any kind of image stabilizing. This is really APITA at macro

    level work. You WILL need a tripod for 100mm Macro and beyond!

     

    In return you get superb IQ, great low light capability and the automatic white balance rocks.

     

    Conclusion: I will film the 5D, my wife enjoys the HC7. :-)

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.