I posted this originally in the beginner's forum without much response, so I thought I'd try it herel
My emergency/backup camera is the Olympus SP-350 which is nice for many things but not really close/small macro. (Oddly you can get closer to a small subject, and fill the screen better, with full zoom rather than w/a, but e'en so I'm usually about 5" away from the subject.)
I've tried three diopters, Inon, an old MX-10 c/u lens, adapted, and an older Hydrophoto #1 diopter, but still can't get much better than roughly 1:2.
The SP-350 has a super macro setting which lets me get the proximity to the subject I want, but it disables the interior flash which I use to trigger my slave(s) via fiber optic cable.
So I thought I'd try using super macro with a modeling light mounted on the housing's cold shoe and see what I get. Has anybody tried this, and if so, how'd it work? What kind of modeling light did you use? I'm looking for one that's small (read cheap) with even light distribution to avoid hot and cold spots.