Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Image, Processing and storage

Started by sharky1961 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Image, Processing and storage

3 posts
  1. Hello, is this X-drive II good for file storage and backup. I don't have and don't want a Laptop. so is the X-drive good en reliable for storage and backup for compactflashcards. I am going for south africa (protea banks) to see some sharks I have two 512 mb Compactflashcards and I want to have backup in case the compactflashcard is broken. Is there anyone who has experience with this x-drive?

  2. Eric has experience w/ the X-drive, but he is out of town right now.

     

    I have the Image Tank, and now the Image Tank G2 - which are made by the same company as the Xdrive. They are reliable and the Image Tank G2 will tell you how many files have been copied so that you can verify you got them all.

     

    Here's where I got mine, so you can compare the various products:

     

    http://store.yahoo.com/insidecomputer/

     

    Bottom line: Without a color LCD to see the shots once they are on the storage drive - I would recommend making two copies of each card every time you do a backup if the shots are really important to you.

     

    But the drives DO work and I have never lost an image - yet.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. I bought the Xs-drive II recently and tried it in Punta Cana. I got the kind you put your own HD into, but I'm sure they are the same.

     

    I had no problems. I had put a 15 Gb drive, and found I could get about 10, 5 minute transfers on a charge with my 192 Mb card.

     

    The issue is you don't get to look at you shots once you download and delete your card, you cant view them until you get to a pc.

     

    If you have a faster card than me (12x), then you could probably transfer more data on a charge.

     

    I think it's a great system if you are really tight on space, though it' might be worth it to wait for one of the color display units that handle MP3s, video, etc.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.