Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Filters

Started by matt215 ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Filters

9 posts
  1. I know very little about filters. What filters do you use underwater (if any) and what do you use on land? What do they do ... like what sort of effects can you expect from different filters?

  2. I know very little about filters. What filters do you use underwater (if any) and what do you use on land? What do they do ... like what sort of effects can you expect from different filters?

     

    Pretty broad topic to tackle here.

     

    Some Basics:

     

    http://www.tutorial9.net/photography/filte...nd-photography/

     

    I have seen talk about the "Magic Filter" , but I do not know what it is. Not much ned for filters these days re: PhotoShop and other software.

     

    Hope this helps

  3. thanks for the response. Since I posted this I did a little research, and yeah filters are becoming obsolete. I did see that UV filters are good to use (if nothing else just to protect the lens) and polarizing filters still have a place. Thanks for the link...

  4. thanks for the response. Since I posted this I did a little research, and yeah filters are becoming obsolete. I did see that UV filters are good to use (if nothing else just to protect the lens) and polarizing filters still have a place. Thanks for the link...

     

    I actually think the U/V filter has gone by the wayside also. I think that an "NC" filter is recommended. They do not change any of the lighting entering the camera as even a U/V filter can. Perhaps check out bhphotovideo.com and type in "NC" filter, if that oesn't work, type in U/V and you should get other options too.

     

    Good luck,

  5. I have seen talk about the "Magic Filter" , but I do not know what it is.

     

    Hi Bob,

    The Magic filters you've seen talk about were designed by the infamous Dr. Alex Mustard, and in fact really do work. They are described here on the website and can be purchased at either Backscatter or Reef Photo among others.

     

    Matt these work well in the range of depth they were designed for. You need to change the way you'd shoot with them on so take a look at the website for more info.

     

    Steve

  6. I will second the use of Alex's Magic Filters, as he admits himself, you will certainly not use them on every dive but if you know you are going to be shallow and can shoot with the sun coming from behind then they are great. The blues they render in the background are pretty difficult to replicate, especially if you are not handy with the old photoshop. I think that filters still have a place in photography but, as you say, many of the effects can be done in photoshop.

  7. Hi Bob,

    The Magic filters you've seen talk about were designed by the infamous Dr. Alex Mustard, and in fact really do work. They are described here on the website and can be purchased at either Backscatter or Reef Photo among others.

     

    Matt these work well in the range of depth they were designed for. You need to change the way you'd shoot with them on so take a look at the website for more info.

     

    Steve

     

    Thanks Steve.

  8. filters are becoming obsolete

    I don't really agree ... they have their use in digital - some different than film, some the same ... I know there is a whole "you don't need filters anymore" school out there, but I think that's short-sighted.

    A) ND filters, both straight and graduated still have their place

     

    B) Polarizing filters cannot be duplicated

     

    C) ETTR exposure technique in 'unbalanced' light (eg daylight) can often be implemented more effectively if the light is balanced on scene by use of a filter

    If you can accept the loss of light, using filters can often increase file quality by balancing light prior to capture and allowing a more right-skewed histogram without clipping.

     

    This is the same principle on which the Magic Filters rest as well.

  9. A) ND filters, both straight and graduated still have their place

    B) Polarizing filters cannot be duplicated

     

    C) ETTR exposure technique in 'unbalanced' light (eg daylight) can often be implemented more effectively if the light is balanced on scene by use of a filter

    If you can accept the loss of light, using filters can often increase file quality by balancing light prior to capture and allowing a more right-skewed histogram without clipping.

     

    This is the same principle on which the Magic Filters rest as well.

     

    Good points Jeremy. I carry polarizing and ND split grads for sure.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.