Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Macro Wide angle, in competitions

Started by scubanaught ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Macro Wide angle, in competitions

4 posts
  1. Hi All

     

    I'm thinking of entering some of my images into a comp, it requires one wide angle and one macro image. When does an image become a macro shot is it purely lens, ie is everything i shoot with my 60mm macro a macro shot and everything i shoot with my wide angle a wide angle shot. or is there some middle ground. Is a fish portrait a macro shot if shot with a macro lens. Hope this makes sense.

  2. I would imagine that this varies across competition but I know BSoUP tend to work on whether the shot covers less than an A4 area.

     

    Daniel

  3. A fish shot is a macro shot if the fish is very small. :D

     

    Categories such as "macro" aren't well defined, unless the contest itself defines it. I recall some contests defining macro as 1:2. This would mean a critter could fill the width of the image and be as big as 72mm wide (at least this is one interpretation). In the old days 1:1 macro would mean a rectangular critter of the size 24mm by 36mm would fill the entire frame of the image.

     

    In today's world, it is much harder to define. It is not defined by the lens. I have a shot of 3 bumphead parrotfish taken with a 105mm. I would not enter it in the macro category.

  4. We used to define macro as anything smaller than an 8 X 12 field of view. CFWA is still wide angle.

    Cheers,

    Marli

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.