Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

JONAH D100 Housing

Started by Andi Voeltz ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

JONAH D100 Housing

16 posts
  1. This one is for you James :lol:

     

    My whole flat is an digital arsenal now, not only the 100mm Canon Macro arrived today... also the Nikon D100, which was lend to us for the coming review by by NIKON GERMANY (big thanxx to them!!) including the 12-24mm DX lense. All Germans please try to pass by their booth at IFA EXPO in Berlin and say that we send you :D. Anyway, I found a few minutes to stuff everything in the JONAH ND100 housing at show you some pics of a complete wide angle setup including subtronic strobes...

     

     

    This is the rig using the 4" dome port with an 30mm extension ring.

    Camera & lense fit in like a glove. Even at 12mm it's enough room :rolleyes:

     

    IMG_0984.jpg

     

     

     

    For the more demanding photographer you may also decide on the

    8" dome port. This one is so huge that you do not require an extension

    ring to fit everything in. Also it will line up nicely if you also own the new

    DX fisheye lense coming from NIKON.

     

    IMG_0990.jpg

     

     

    Another shot to illustrate the rear view of the setup. Note that the left

    Nikonos V socket is for using NON-TTL strobes, while the right one will

    operate in TTL with any housed DX strobe. So Alex, no more taping which

    ruins your strobes :P . The only small limitation is that you have to decide

    on TTL or manual wide angle mode before dipping into the sea.

     

    IMG_0991.jpg

     

     

    Final shot to give you a look inside.

     

    IMG_0994.jpg

     

    Looking forward to read your comments. We'll give it a first try on Sunday

    in a German lake before we depart to warmer depth next week.

     

    ---

     

    Ahhh yes... JAMES: this housing is finally the answer to utilize the SIGMA

    15-30mm lense underwater. Not the prefered type for the Nikonians since

    they have the 12-24mm, BUT... this lense focusses fine with the 10D housing

    when you combine the 8" dome port with two 30mm extension rings. It has

    already been tested in Korea and does not require diopters.

  2. Andi,

     

    Thanks very much for posting these photos! I am really excited!

     

    Craig and I will be diving with this rig next weekend at the Flowergardens - about the same time you and Lars are hitting the Red Sea. I think Craig has his photos taken of the housing - but you beat him to the punch! :-P

     

    We intend to try it with:

     

    Nikkor 12-24DX

    Nikkor 24-85 AFS f3.5

    Nikkor 60mm and 105mm macro

     

    And eventually with another port extension: Nikkor 105mm with 2x teleconverter.

     

    My guess is that the 12-24DX will require a port extension for the best corner sharpness - but we'll see!

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Just wanted to let you know that our first test wa cancelled due to bad weather and not much time because of the travel preparations we have. Seem like the first thing you'll see are from James or us shooting in the Red C :rolleyes:

  4. JAMES: this housing is finally the answer to utilize the SIGMA

    15-30mm lense underwater.

     

    I've been using that lens with the D60 and the 10D in my UKGermany housing for almost a year now.. It's not a bad lens..

  5. Hello Chris,

     

    Your gallery has some beautiful shots.........which camera did you use in Bonaire and Mexico?

     

    The cp5000 is still going strong!

     

    Karl

  6. JAMES: this housing is finally the answer to utilize the SIGMA

    15-30mm lense underwater.

     

    I've been using that lens with the D60 and the 10D in my UKGermany housing for almost a year now.. It's not a bad lens..

    Strange,... Uwe does not offer a port for this lense in his price list... :lol:

    Aren't you mistaking it with the SIGMA 17-35mm ? Because I know he has

    ports for that one.

  7. I can vouch that he has off the peg port for 17-35 I have one for the Dynax.

    Don't forget to try the converter on the 60, it should drop in the same port as the 105. I just ordered the Jessops Nikon-fit 2x TC. I've been using it on the Dynax equiv. for surface work and it is superb quality.

  8. andi,

     

    I am using the Sigma 15-30, Uwe will make the zoom gear for any lens if requested.. As far as the port, I use my Dome port with an extention. The next dive I will be using the Sigma 180mm with Tubes in the UK Germany/ Canon 100mm port with two port extentions. Should be great fun (It's HUGE)

     

    Karl,

     

    Thanks and I am glad to hear it....I used the 10D for the Bonaire pictures and the CP5000 in Mexico.

  9. Strange,... Uwe does not offer a port for this lense in his price list..

    Andi, could you please direct me to this price list. I dont see anthing on the UK web site.

     

    Thanks, Andre

  10. Maybe I should also mention that our whole team was struck by illness right after the trip. :D

    But for those with the watering mouth, I have the following 4 shots out of the Nikon 12-24mm

    inside the JONAH ND100 housing. All in all you can say that it's really wide... B)

     

    nd100_1178.jpg

     

    nd100_1832.jpg

     

    nd100_1952.jpg

     

    nd100_0893.jpg

     

    the last one is a crop, and more because of the nice encounter! :D

  11. Very nice Andi! So tell us, did you get a zoom gear and a port extension for the 8" dome to use with the 12-24DX lens?

     

    As you have learned, it is not easy to light up an area as wide as that covered by the 12mm lens. My preferred strobes for the setup are twin SS200's which are extremely wide and very powerful (UW guide #38)

     

    Cheers

    James

  12. Very nice Andi!  So tell us, did you get a zoom gear and a port extension for the 8" dome to use with the 12-24DX lens?
    Yes, the zoom gear for the 12-24mm worked great. But you really do not use the zoom that much underwater. Concerning the 8" dome: we did not use it that much. The 4" dome port with one extension ring was fine enough to mount the 12-24mm. While inspecting our images very closely at my home monitor, we found that there might be slight softening on the edges. But we are not sure yet. We will have a proper pool test for a closer comparision, of what you have pointed out before.

     

    As you have learned, it is not easy to light up an area as wide as that covered by the 12mm lens.
    Well Lars had to learn it. :D He operated the ND100 more than me. I just used two times on a nightdive and during dusk.

     

    My preferred strobes for the setup are twin SS200's which are extremely wide and very powerful (UW guide #38)
    Well I think our subtronic alpha pros did fine too, but as you pointed out the photographer has

    to care more carefully about positioning them right. The lense is really awfully wide... :D

  13. Enclosed are two more images...

     

    Andi with the small one:

     

    nd100_12-24mm_SSH60023.jpg

     

    Lars and the big one:

     

    nd100_12-24mm_SSH60074.jpg

  14. Very nice Andi! So tell us, did you get a zoom gear and a port extension for the 8" dome to use with the 12-24DX lens?

     

    As you have learned, it is not easy to light up an area as wide as that covered by the 12mm lens. My preferred strobes for the setup are twin SS200's which are extremely wide and very powerful (UW guide #38)

     

    Cheers

    James

    You haven't seen wide. According to specs the 12-24DX covers 99 degrees. The Inon WA lens + dome port will cover 130 degrees.

  15. Enclosed are two more images...

    Nice shots Andi. I really like the lionfish.

  16. Damn Herb - you aren't kidding. I'd probably just end up with a bunch of pictures of my fins...

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.