Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Humboldt Squid Video

Started by uzun ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

Humboldt Squid Video

17 posts
  1. There was an influx of Humboldt Squid, of all things, at La Jolla shores this past weekend. I was able to get some video, in TERRIBLE viz, so the quality is low. I made a quick short featuring footage from the squid dive plus an earlier dive the week before. Shot with a Light and Motion Bluefin pro housing and Sunray 2000 video lights, Sony XR520V camcorder. Again most of it was taken in terrible viz so the quality isnt good, but the subject was so unusual I thought it was worth putting something together.

     

    You can see the video here -

     

     

    or here

     

     

    Humboldt Squid Video Vimeo

  2. Hi there

    Hey that was a nice little piece you put together there.

    Conrgats..on a great effort.

     

    Could you please tell me what file spec size you uploaded to youtube please.

  3. Hi there

    Hey that was a nice little piece you put together there.

    Conrgats..on a great effort.

     

    Could you please tell me what file spec size you uploaded to youtube please.

     

    I uploaded it as an 18mpbs 720p MPEG-2 file.

  4. Wow humbolts in that shallow of water that is a great and rare capture. I guess a lot of those squid beached themselves after the earthquake.

  5. There was a report of the Humbolt in todays San Diego Tribune. Nice footage and storyline. Watch your audio levels as distortion was clearly present.

    Steve

  6. Really enjoyed it, I reckon it would have got a little freaky in the dark with all those squid going nuts!

  7. There was a report of the Humbolt in todays San Diego Tribune. Nice footage and storyline. Watch your audio levels as distortion was clearly present.

    Steve

    Boy you're not kidding distortion was present. I was rushing to finish something before John moore, the guy who runs the divebums mailing list, went on vacation as he wanted to see the squid video. I just got someone at work to do the voiceover real fast on my laptop, and I could not find a decent mic to use. we wound up using a gaming headset and it distorted like crazy. I couldn't hear much through the laptop speakers and didnt' realize the problem until I got home and started editing it again.

     

    I don't usually record dialog anyway, so I'm learning now. I'm going to order a condenser mic off amazon and practice at home, so next time I'm ready to record voiceover it won't be such a disaster.

    Edited by uzun
  8. Better do some research first before you go and just buy anything. Different mics have different colorations, pickup patterns and a whole lot more. You might want to consider the USB Snowball mic, it is inexpensive and provides clean audio.

    Going out on Thursday and hope to see those Humbolts if they're still around.

    Steve

  9. Better do some research first before you go and just buy anything. Different mics have different colorations, pickup patterns and a whole lot more. You might want to consider the USB Snowball mic, it is inexpensive and provides clean audio.

    Going out on Thursday and hope to see those Humbolts if they're still around.

    Steve

    Thanks for the tip, I ordered the snowball from amazon. Friday and saturday night there were dozens and they followed the lights for like 20-30 mins before going off. Sunday we saw only one lone squid. Monday night a couple of divers reported seeing 2 squid briefly later at night. I think its a passing thing but it would be nice if they stayed a while. I think we are seeing individuals and small groups who get lost in the shallows after following prey in from the canyon proper. People report seeing squid boats on thursday and friday night offshore from the canyon, but I didnt see any saturday or sunday.

     

    -Roger

  10. There was an influx of Humboldt Squid, of all things, at La Jolla shores this past weekend. I was able to get some video, in TERRIBLE viz, so the quality is low. I made a quick short featuring footage from the squid dive plus an earlier dive the week before. Shot with a Light and Motion Bluefin pro housing and Sunray 2000 video lights, Sony XR520V camcorder. Again most of it was taken in terrible viz so the quality isnt good, but the subject was so unusual I thought it was worth putting something together.

     

    You can see the video here -

     

     

    or here

     

     

    Humboldt Squid Video Vimeo

     

    Hey Roger!

     

    You made the front page of our local newspaper! Here is a link to the article that quotes you. I'm sure many of you have seen it out on the west coast but the story appeared this morning in our paper here in NC.

     

    Congratulations!

     

    http://www.newsobserver.com/nation_world/story/1610812.html

  11. There was an influx of Humboldt Squid, of all things, at La Jolla shores this past weekend. I was able to get some video, in TERRIBLE viz, so the quality is low. I made a quick short featuring footage from the squid dive plus an earlier dive the week before. Shot with a Light and Motion Bluefin pro housing and Sunray 2000 video lights, Sony XR520V camcorder. Again most of it was taken in terrible viz so the quality isnt good, but the subject was so unusual I thought it was worth putting something together.

     

    You can see the video here -

     

     

    or here

     

     

    Humboldt Squid Video Vimeo

     

    Roger,

     

    Your fame continues! You made the headlines on RoadRunner this morning here in Charlotte, NC.

  12. I wonder why everyone in the general public went so nuts about these squid. I do a video every few weeks, and a lot of them are worlds better than that one. I don't know why certain marine creatures fascinate people more than others really.

  13. Nice vid.

    Personally I'm more wary of Humbolts than sharks. One big mouth of teeth I can deflect with housing. Arms with sharp tentacles is a different matter.

    With the spread of the stomping grounds, due to the decimation of natural predators like sharks and big tuna, I think it may develop into a new fishery.

    Edited by Drew
  14. Hey Roger,

    Went out today, no humbolt, no 6 gill, no vis ;-( Hope your dive was better and thanks for calling.

    Steve

  15. Hey Roger...you're famous now....I'm sure the Germans are sending you a nice big check. Watermark everything.

    Steve

  16. uzun, you can also do very nice voiceover with a shotgun mic. Best position is a few inches away from the mouth, at 45 degrees. If you get one of those then it can double as a camera-top mic too for some situations. Rode are good.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.