Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Filter for shallow depth and low light?

Started by Paste ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Filter for shallow depth and low light?

7 posts
  1. Hi all!

     

    I'm going to Lofoten, Norway in late October, hopefully to snorkel with Orcas. From what I understand, there is not much point bringing a strobe, because the chances of getting close enough are slim, and the Orcas don't like the strong flash I am told. So I thought I might try a filter.

     

    I will shoot at 0-10 meters depth, the avaliable light from the sun will be weak, the visibility will be good though, about 20-40 meters. Hopefully I will have 6-7 meter long black and white mammals swimming not too far away from me. Could filters be the answer? Which one? What about other settings on the camera, I'm using a 4040. Aperture/f-stop in those conditions? Is there any point bringing a wide angle lens, or am i better of without it? The waters at Lofoten are greenish i think.

     

    The questions, as you can see, are many. Thankful for any help.

  2. Try the Hoya FL-D. If the water is very green, then the Hoya FL-W might be better. I suspect that FL-D will be better because of the good vis.

  3. Thanks! And this lens can be attached to the pt-010?

  4. I believe the PT-010 has a 67mm thread. Buy filters of that size.

  5. There seems to be a standard series and something called HMC, does it matter which one I choose? Just so I don't get one that won't work underwater.

  6. They vary by the types of coatings they have but all will work underwater. I don't how durable the filter coatings are when exposed to salt water, but underwater wet lenses are frequently coated, so it's possible they would be fine.

  7. OK, thanks for the help. I'll just get the standard, cheaper one. Hopefully there'll be a post in a different thread later on.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.