Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Reversed Pelican case??

Started by jproc77 ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Reversed Pelican case??

10 posts
  1. I'll be doing some local SW diving and need a rinse tank on site to bathe my housing and strobes. Has anyone tried filling their pelican / storm case to accomplish this? Of course the valve will be closed...lol.

  2. I'll be doing some local SW diving and need a rinse tank on site to bathe my housing and strobes. Has anyone tried filling their pelican / storm case to accomplish this? Of course the valve will be closed...lol.

     

    I've been using a 1300 case in years for this on my liveaboard trips. It really works great. Just fill with water, put equipment in, close the lid, and take it to your cabin for soalking. I'm not crazy about having my camera laying around in the barrel with all the others.

  3. I carry a foldable cooler, works great for insulating the rig from boat bumps and packs up out of the way. It's much deeper than a pelican and you don't have to remove the foam.

     

    I got mine from these guys AO Coolers

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  4. Second on the foldable coolers. Look around for one with wheels!

  5. Second on the foldable coolers. Look around for one with wheels!

    What size of cooler do you use (preferably in approximate volume units, where I come from cooler size are not stated in cans)?

     

    /Bent

    Edited by Bent C
  6. The size and whether or not you need wheels is dependent on the size of your rig of course. The dimensions are listed so you can get a better feel for the one you need. Sorry, on this site it's in inches. For a full size DSLR with twin strobes the "48 can" is just right.

     

    Steve

  7. The size and whether or not you need wheels is dependent on the size of your rig of course. The dimensions are listed so you can get a better feel for the one you need. Sorry, on this site it's in inches. For a full size DSLR with twin strobes the "48 can" is just right.

     

    Steve

     

    Thanks Steve, I´ll just convert it.

     

    regards

     

    Bent

  8. Thanks Steve, I´ll just convert it.

     

    regards

     

    Bent

     

    In more general units than "cans", I get the volume to be about 55 liters (that would be the 48 can size). That is about double the size of the largest soft cooler I have found in Sweden!!! I´ll have to check if I can use the smaller cooler with first the housing and then the strobes. Or try to get one from the country of big coolers!

     

    /bent

  9. I'll be doing some local SW diving and need a rinse tank on site to bathe my housing and strobes. Has anyone tried filling their pelican / storm case to accomplish this? Of course the valve will be closed...lol.

     

    Thanks for the replies everyone!

     

    I used a Pelican 1650 case as a rinse tank on a trip to Jamestown, RI today. I used the Pelican because

    1. I already had it

    2. I needed to bring my own water, no hose on site

    I closed the valve and filled it 3/4 full. No problems with shifting, and it really wasn't that heavy.

    Downside is that it eats up some room (put fins, mask, bc in it, but I wouldn't transport my camera in it)

     

    I'm sure the foldable coolers work great, if there's freshwater at the site. At the worst, you can fill it with saltwater and keep your stuff wet...

     

    Jay Proc

  10. I carry a foldable cooler, works great for insulating the rig from boat bumps and packs up out of the way. It's much deeper than a pelican and you don't have to remove the foam.

     

    I got mine from these guys AO Coolers

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

     

     

    I was at the Outdoor Retailer Show here in Salt Lake City this week. AO had a booth so I stopped by and ended up buying one (they sometimes sell demos at these shows). I got the 36 pack as I have a P&S with one strobe and one focus light. It is a little big for it but I am sure I can make it work. I would highly recommend looking their cooler bags.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.