Through discussion help I am thinking the Tokina 10-17mm for my wide angle lens.
Im in Australia, where is the best place to buy one online and have it shipped?
I have a 6inch dome port (5503.5) but the ikelite.com suggests (5503). What is the difference? will i NEED to get a new one?
Any thing else i should know?
Matt
I have a 6inch dome port (5503.5) but the ikelite.com suggests (5503). What is the difference? will i NEED to get a new one?
The 5503 works great, even if people here will recommend the 8"
I don't know about the 5503.5, but I guess you'll have black corners, exept if you remove the black part of it.
wait for more answers
Hi Matt,
try eBay for the 10-17mm, there's quite a few Hong Kong sellers with good prices. Here's one for example.
Cheers,
Jim.
Are the Hong Kong sellers the real deal?
Do they have valid warranty in Australia do you know?
Matt
If unsure about sellers on eBay check out what feedback they have received. If they are shonky it will soon become
apparent. As far as the warranty goes it'll be a 12 month job but return to the vendor would be necessary. When I'm
ready to get the 10-17mm this is the way I'll be getting one.
Cheers,
Jim.
I bought a fixed-focal length Tokina fisheye from Hong Kong: import duty raised the price and it was broken. I effectively lost my money as the seller wasn't interested in replacement.
I don't know how important an n=1 study is, but I've bought from dealers that I trust since then...
Tim
I've bought from these guys in the past and they sponsor another forum that I use (and have for for at least three years) so I'd say they're pretty safe. They pay VAT if you get caught coming in (it says UK only on the website but it's worth checking if they'll do other countries too). Warranty is mainly return to hong kong - I guess it's up to you if you want to risk it.....
I use the 10-17 with a different housing but I love it.
I have a 6inch dome port (5503.5) but the ikelite.com suggests (5503). What is the difference? will i NEED to get a new one?
Any thing else i should know?
The 5503 has virtually no stalk that is the port is directly on the front of the housing, even with this Ikelite say there is some vignetting (black corners from the port shade or port itself). This may depend on camera and housing and may only be apparent at the wider end of the zoom range. There will be considerable black corners with your 5503.5.
I moved to the 8 inch dome when I got the Tokina which uses interchangeable different length port stalks, it is heavy more expensive than the single length 6inch domes but has no vignetting problems with the minimal stalk/mount recommended.