Strangely enough, I no longer saw the film as an expensive resource. I looked at it and wondered how I'd based a long career on such a primitive thing as a wet-film process. How things change. If you'd tried to convince me that I'd be using Skype video calls from all around the world, a mere ten years ago, I probably would not have believed you either.
I threw away about 100 rolls of Fuji film.
Strangely enough, I no longer saw the film as an expensive resource. I looked at it and wondered how I'd based a long career on such a primitive thing as a wet-film process. How things change. If you'd tried to convince me that I'd be using Skype video calls from all around the world, a mere ten years ago, I probably would not have believed you either.
There are some things that I miss about slides and film, but I think it is more based on the where and when of the photos.
But there is something to be said for getting many shots, with EXIF data, on small little cards.
Last Christmas I bought some Ilford FP4 (old favourite B&W film) and wet chemicals, cleared out the SCUBA tack room and restored my darkroom for a while to allow adult daughter who is becomeing a keen land photographer with a Cannon S80 to experience the delights of seeing images appear in a dish of chemicals in red light. The aim was to improve knowledge of exposure and composition. The old Olympus OM1 set up saw use for the first time in 10 years and I think the experience was useful as well as enjoyable. But the film paper and chemicals were enormously more expensive than I remember, specialist market now I suppose.
Those were the days.
Tim Digger
John,
any chance that you can grab those films out of the trash again and send them to me? I still use a dinosaur camera called "Nikonos RS", so I could use them!
Think you should do me that favour. Why? You may not remember, but I do: 12 or so years ago, while diving with my wife in Curacao, you lurked my wife away for some wreck photos - while I was waiting patiently on the bottom. She obviously trusted your photo-capabilities more than mine...
Anyhow, at least her photo was published in Diver magazine afterwards.
Cheers,
Jock
I threw away about 100 rolls of Fuji film.
Strangely enough, I no longer saw the film as an expensive resource. I looked at it and wondered how I'd based a long career on such a primitive thing as a wet-film process. How things change. If you'd tried to convince me that I'd be using Skype video calls from all around the world, a mere ten years ago, I probably would not have believed you either.
John,
any chance that you can grab those films out of the trash again and send them to me? I still use a dinosaur camera called "Nikonos RS", so I could use them!
Think you should do me that favour. Why? You may not remember, but I do: 12 or so years ago, while diving with my wife in Curacao, you lurked my wife away for some wreck photos - while I was waiting patiently on the bottom. She obviously trusted your photo-capabilities more than mine...
Anyhow, at least her photo was published in Diver magazine afterwards.
Cheers,
Jock
Send me your address:
john@ divermag.co.uk
I'll trawl through my trash. You are lucky, the garbage goes off on Friday!
JB
I'll trawl through my trash. You are lucky, the garbage goes off on Friday!