Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

ID help please

Started by laz217 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

ID help please

5 posts
  1. Can someone help with an ID for any of these critters? These were photographed in Florida and the Bahamas.

     

    090108-181510-0066.jpg

     

    090128-095723-0005.jpg

     

    090619-232315-0712.jpg

     

    Thanks!

  2. I suspect that the second shot is a juvenile trunkfish (Lactophrys trigonus). Juveniles of this species are supposed to show a pattern of white spots, and have a mid-dorsal ridge... both of which one could argue are present in this photo (btw - great shot!).

     

    Cephalopods aren't my thing though, so I'll leave them for someone else to tackle... awesome shots though!! Well placed DOF in the first one, and love the colours/reflections in the third.

  3. I reckon the other two are Caribbean reef squid, Sepioteuthis sepioidea.

  4. Thanks, Keri. I had a feeling it was one of the juvenile trunks but the green rings (instead of the white/yellow spots I normally see) threw me off. Thanks for the nice compliments on the photos. :B):

     

    Nick, the chromatophores on squids are what always confuse the heck out of me. Supposedly that is one way to tell them apart. I know that the Lolliguncula sp. has no red chromatophores... only yellow and brown plus they are short and stubby. That leads me to believe the last image is Lolliguncula, but I'm not certain. It was photographed while snorkeling in 1400 ft. in the Bahamas. There was a huge school of them and they were a maximum size of 3 inches.

     

    The one in the first photo I'm almost certain the genus is Loligo but I don't know the species. That one was photographed at Phil Foster park (Blue Heron bridge) in 10 ft. of water.

     

    Can anyone recommend a good cephalopod identification book that covers Florida and Bahamas?

    Edited by laz217
  5. the first squid actually looks like an arrow squid. which is a much rarer find :drink:

    its narrower with bigger fins in proportion to its body

    than the reef squid. and if you look closely, the reef squid fins start much closer

    to the head than the other squid. nice shots by the way :)

    matt

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.