Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Has anyone use the SeaLife DC 250?

Started by joshcrossman ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Has anyone use the SeaLife DC 250?

2 posts
  1. Hi, I am new to the whole underwater digital camera scene and am trying to decide between a SeaLife DC250 2.1mp digital camera for $300 or getting a housing for my Canon Powershot 110 for $150. I am leaning towards the Sealife because it has a "marine setting" and can take a strobe. I don't think my Powershot can take a strobe.

     

    Has anyone use this camera and can tell me if it is worth getting? If not, are there any digital camera recommendations for the sub-$300 level (without the strobe)? I am not a professional photograher; I just need a good solid underwater digicam for the few scuba trips I take a year.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Josh

  2. The Canon will fire the strobe in exactly the same way as the Sealife will - via optical slave sensor on the strobe. So I wouldn't make that a factor in your decision.

     

    Have a look at the two cameras and you will see that the Canon is a much better machine - giving you more control over how it takes photos. It may be slightly harder to use the first few dives, but I think you will grow into it fast. My friends use the housed Canons and have gotten some great shots, even with only the internal flash.

     

    Ikelite has some info on their page:

     

    http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/elph_s100.html

     

    Canon has a whole website about UW photo at:

     

    http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/uwphoto/index-e.html

     

    Hope that helps,

    James

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.