Sure, just make sure the boat is made from fallen trees. You can sail, it's allowed. 
I don't know why we have to look to the celebs/higher profile people to do so we can follow. I mean if Cameron Diaz rides to her private jet in her Prius, does that make her hero or a hypocrite? In fact, most everyone is a hypocrite if we compare ourselves to a Khoi or Sans bushman in the Kalahari for carbon or any kind of footprint except sand. However, if it is possible to offset with solar powered homes, investment in hydrodams etc, the footprint does get significantly smaller. Walking/bicycling/skateboarding/rollerblading to places helps too.
The movie is a commentary about our modern lives and how we live it. The guy lost 25 lbs, his wife reversed her diabetes all through exercise and good dieting, without hitting a treadmill or gym. If the choices he made for food was fully sustainable and organic etc, I think he's set a good standard.
Afterall, if Lovelock is right and it's pass the tipping point, do we then stop any efforts and just enjoy ourselves?
John, I follow your reasoning but fail to see the logic? So if I have anything asian in my possession I don't have the right to fight shark finning? I do think that the no strobe thread has shown that people don't like to be told what to do, especially when it doesn't make sense to them. That's why there's nationalism when the anti-whaling brigade strikes etc. However, the science now proves that sharks are dwindling (well according to the Australians, gummy shark fishery is still ok) in numbers. It's no longer enough to convince the general asian population to stop consuming fins (or the fishing fleets of europe to stop catching sharks for fish n chips). The real way to stop is to have legislation and have it enforced world wide.
However, if climate change is being accelerated so fast that species cannot adjust, then we're screwed anyways. 