Skip to content

Copyright Issues, Non-Payment, Fraud, Theft / Archived topic

help

Started by tomeyer ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

help

3 posts
  1. Maybe you guys can help solve a disagreement I am having with my coworkers. The other day I was at a conference with my coworkers and this lady was selling collages with pictures on them taken by other people for 15 dollars. I expressed the opinion that I felt it was stealing other peoples art for profit but the others disagreed with me. Am I wrong about this and if I am please explain why. Thanks.

     

     

    Tom

  2. My gut reaction is that it is stealing. I don't think it would be covered by fair use, and I think if the pictures are copyrighted then she is breaking the law. But, truthfully, I don't know much about fair use. I am sure others here do and can give you a more informed legal opinion,

  3. Maybe you guys can help solve a disagreement I am having with my coworkers. The other day I was at a conference with my coworkers and this lady was selling collages with pictures on them taken by other people for 15 dollars. I expressed the opinion that I felt it was stealing other peoples art for profit but the others disagreed with me. Am I wrong about this and if I am please explain why. Thanks.

     

     

    Tom

     

    The way you describe it it doesn't sound like any exception in the copyright laws would permit it (FWIW the underlying photos are copyrighted by definition.)

     

    Take a look here at Jarvis where a Collage was at issue:

     

    Jarvis v. K2 Inc

     

    But note some cases centering around transformative works

     

    Jeff Koons and Similar Case

     

    Another discussion

     

    General Fair Use Question

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.