Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Making the water look clearer :)

Started by Rogersea ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Making the water look clearer :)

7 posts
  1. Dear Esteemed Board Members,

    Sorry for this bone head question but I am pretty new to video and I am currently using a trial version of Vegas 9 pro. My problem is that current weather conditions are causing the sea to be a little churned and consequently reducing visibility due to all the particulate that is suspended in the water. Other than moving to another location is there any editing trick that I can use to make the water the look clearer....

     

    Again the vids are truly reflective of the conditions.

     

     

    Cheers,

    Roger

  2. Nothing practical that I know of regarding post production. If you're shooting with lights, make sure they're a long way out from your port and not angled inwards too much so you're not illuminating particulate that's close to the camera and getting backscatter. Water conditions will often look better on video than they actually did in person, particularly if shooting with available light.

     

    p.s. In mucky water make sure you lock your focus on something at the sort of range that you want to shoot so that your camera doesn't "hunt" in and out of focus.

    Edited by Nick Hope
  3. Roger, the best for anyone to help you is to post an example of what you are referring to.

  4. Thanks guys,

    I will try the lighting technique and attempt to post a sample of my work.. BTW the wind is blowing this morning so I am excited to see if I can improve my technique..

     

     

     

    Cheers,

    Roger

  5. Go as wide as possible (i.e. use a WA adapter of WA lens) so that you minimise the water between you and the subject and never zoom.

  6. Yes go wide and don't shoot into the sun light, have it behind you.

     

    Move/live some place were the water is clearer... :drink:

  7. Move/live some place were the water is clearer... :drink:

     

     

    LOL Classic comment Wags!

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.