Western Digital is now shipping the 1TB 2.5" hard drive, the Scorpion Blue. It's 12.5mm high so it may not fit some laptops. However, with 2 portable drives of 1TB each like the Nextodi Extreme 2700, which also has an automatic card reader and backup functions, going on long trips shouldn't be a problem anymore.
If you shoot a full 32GB card a day, with 2 of the 1TB drives, you'll have a backup for almost 30 days. All in a package that weighs no more than 500g together.
Western Digital is now shipping the 1TB 2.5" hard drive, the Scorpion Blue. It's 12.5mm high so it may not fit some laptops. However, with 2 portable drives of 1TB each like the Nextodi Extreme 2700, which also has an automatic card reader and backup functions, going on long trips shouldn't be a problem anymore.
If you shoot a full 32GB card a day, with 2 of the 1TB drives, you'll have a backup for almost 30 days. All in a package that weighs no more than 500g together.
Unreal. Wasn't too long ago when the thought of 120 Gig Drive in a laptop was great. I was going to uppdate a couple of drives, thanks for the heads up. Going to check to see if they will fit/work in the things I have.
Anyone know of an external firewire case that takes 12.5mm drives?
Cor, Nextodi is USB and eSATA. It has a power source in the case which allows for independent usage. Nice little case. Plus eSATA is FAST!
I'd love to stick one of those in my Sony laptop, but have no idea iif it would work/fit. I can't find a chart of compatible PCs! Anybody know of a resource?
You can almost certainly forget about putting these in a laptop. Basically every modern laptop only takes a 9mm drive, including Vaios. I think 12.5mm drives are pretty much useless except for in an external enclosure, and even then you cant even find those!
Cor
I know FW is faster than USB but the available enclosures that fit 12.5mm drives all have USB. I'd wait a few months and the eSATA models should be coming out.
Fortunately most new laptops come w/ an eSATA connector - however they are not "self powered" like USB so you usually need a separate power supply for the enclosure :-(
Cheers
James
James. the Akasa shows the power cables are USB powered so you don't need a separate power supply.