Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

The Great One

Started by laz217 ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

The Great One

14 posts
  1. After spending a whole week dry because of a cold I got in the water again today and on the eleventh hour this beauty decided to come pay me a visit. No bait... just a fast beating heart!

     

    Cool, had to be amazing to have that guest show up out of nowhere

  2. Way to go Laz, seriously beautiful animal. :drink: Glad you had your camera up and running. Was this outside West palm or out in Bahamian water?

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  3. Hi

    Hey that was a nice surprise.

     

    I see your Ocean Gallery drop down menu does not go over the top of you flash video.

    Put this param attributes in your Flash content.

     

    <param name="wmode" value="transparent">

     

    See what that does.

  4. Isn't she beautiful? I just hope the morons with the guns and fishing poles don't end up killing her.

     

    Steve, this was filmed right here in Palm Beach. Every couple of months we hear about someone having an encounter. This is my second one this year. I love it! Now if I can only get that pilot whale or humpback encounter again this year. :drink: Palm Beach rocks!

     

    Thanks for the heads up, Wagsy. I put the page together and I must have missed that all together. I've added the parameter and it's working fine now. I still gotta fix the dropdown in Safari, though. Guess I'll work on that now. Thanks again!

  5. Wow! Lukcy You Laz!!!

  6. So cool Laz - great experience and great video.

     

    James

  7. Really amazing; a surprise like that would make my heart beat a little faster. Which dive site was this?

  8. Never seen a great hammer, hoping to in the Red Sea come Oct. Must have been amazing for it to just pop in on you like that. It didn't seem afraid of your bubbles as are scalloped hammers.

    Steve

  9. Loftus, for the sake of keeping any roaming fishermen away from the site I won't be posting where I saw it. Sorry.

     

    It is certainly an amazing sight to see this unique creature underwater. Especially without baiting the water. Popping in on me is an understatement. I was filming a juvenile highhat that was tucked into a crevice and I just happen to glance to the side for a second and saw the hammerhead gliding down the side of the ledge. I think it was just as surprised to see me there and that is why it turned back to check me out. It made three turns, which made me a little nervous, before it finally went on his way. I was holding my breath the whole time it circled in hopes of not scaring it away.

     

    A close look at her left side during the first pass in the video and there is a noticeable scar. Right above it there appear to be rake marks very similar to that of a mating / territorial scar. A great hammerhead giving birth... Now that would certainly make for some extra exciting video. :drink:

  10. Loftus, for the sake of keeping any roaming fishermen away from the site I won't be posting where I saw it. Sorry.

    Didn't think about that, no worries.

  11. I've seen them a couple times now, each time while on a deco hang off Hatteras. I usually have between a 20 and 30 min hang in the open ocean. I suspend my camera on a long tether clipped to my harness and of course by the time I see them it's too late to shoot video. Ya just watch them cruise by... I wish they'd hang with us occasionally. All the other sharks aren't shy and stick around but the GHs only visit and leave...

  12. Awesome footage, Laz. Wish I could have been there!

  13. Great stuff Laz and way to capture it on video! Good for you!

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.