- 8Posts
- 8Replies
Read-only discussion
Crab from Myanmar
-
-
In the reef fish trade that looks exactly like a "sally lightfoot " Percnon gibbesi
-
Thanks drako. The pictures of Percnon gibbesi that I've seen don't have the bright yellow on the eyes, and the yellow is in bands around the legs, whereas these crabs in Burma have the yellow along the leg. Also Sealifebase has the distribution down as "East Pacific". I guess Percnon planissimum might be a possibility.
Incidentally, searches on "Sally Lightfoot crabs" generally turn up Grapsus sp rather than Percnon gibbesi.
-
Sorry to bump this but I'm pretty keen on getting it identified. Does anyone know of any experts that can help with crab ID?
-
My japanese sources have this yellow eyed crab as Percnon planissimum.
-
Thanks Leslie. I see a couple of pages that have this down as Percnon planissimum (one, two) but I'm a little thrown because I already have these two attached classified as Percnon planissimum. Also from the Andaman Sea. They have red eyes and no yellow longitudinal colouration along the legs. This page has one of those with red eyes classified as Percnon planissimum. Maybe there is just colour variation within the species? Or perhaps a male/female difference?
-
I just don't know Nick. The image labelled Percnon planissimum in "Shrimps & Crabs of Hachijo Island" by Kato & Okuno has yellow eyes & the yellow stripe down the legs. That's a pretty reliable publication & the one I followed. Looking on the web there's several different colorations under that name - like this one http://decapoda.free.fr/illustration.php?n=4&sp=593 So far I haven't been able to find a reliable source which details the coloration of the various species.
-
Ok, thanks again Leslie. I'll go with Percnon planissimum.