Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

D300S experiance...

Started by shchae ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

D300S experiance...

18 posts
  1. I had a chance to play with D300S today. Pictures in announcement shows it is same size as D300 but,

    I wanted to try with my housing & was pleased to find it is same size camera with 2 additional buttons.

    I am going to make new back window for d300s camera soon.

     

    I also, felt it has very fast auto focus & like 2 card slot so that I can save jpg pictures on one

    card & RAW files on the other.

     

    Sam

    post-815-1249393963.jpg

    post-815-1249393981.jpg

    Edited by shchae
  2. Good stats, Sam.

  3. Very nice...well for the Nexus owners:) I really do hope that the other housing brands will this time come to the party and provide modified backs for their existing D300 housings.

     

    It looks like the multi sector has moved to the right and that the four buttons does not properly line up, is that correct?

  4. Another tricky detail is that the center button of the multi-controller is required to activate video recording, so that assembly will have to be reconfigured to access the center button (unless you can press two buttons at one).

  5. Good information Jane - I mean Sam :-)

     

    Regards

    James

  6. Very nice...well for the Nexus owners:) I really do hope that the other housing brands will this time come to the party and provide modified backs for their existing D300 housings.

     

    It looks like the multi sector has moved to the right and that the four buttons does not properly line up, is that correct?

     

    Re location of multi dial, it has been that way since they produced d300 & I have a way to cover that in my mod.

    My original mod on d200 to take d300 was using existing back window but, d300s now requires new back window

    which is not a big deal.

     

    Sam

  7. Another tricky detail is that the center button of the multi-controller is required to activate video recording, so that assembly will have to be reconfigured to access the center button (unless you can press two buttons at one).

     

    Good point Ryan.

     

    A possible work-around would be to: go to the camera menu > assign the back shutter speed button so that one can also scroll though images by turning it's wheel> then make an "offset push button end" of one of the 4 position buttons so that the offset hits the center video button.

     

    I hope that sounds clear.

     

    Barry

  8. Good point Ryan.

     

    A possible work-around would be to: go to the camera menu > assign the back shutter speed button so that one can also scroll though images by turning it's wheel> then make an "offset push button end" of one of the 4 position buttons so that the offset hits the center video button.

     

    I hope that sounds clear.

     

    Barry

     

    If you are not familier with this multi button, it is NOT a wheel to turn. It only goes to up,down,left & right(with d200,300 & 700) and push center(d90 & d300s)

    only.

    Sam

  9. If you are not familier with this multi button, it is NOT a wheel to turn. It only goes to up,down,left & right(with d200,300 & 700) and push center(d90 & d300s)

    only.

    Sam

     

    Hey Sam, I understand what button we are talking about and I know that it is not a wheel. My idea may not have been clear enough.

     

    My idea, which I did not explain throughly, is that when 1 button is adapted to hit the center of the 4 position switch (by an point adapter to make that button hit the center button), then one either looses the ability to scroll through histograms, etc. or the ability to scroll through the last pictures that were taken.

     

    I would rather not lose the ability to check histograms by using the 4 position switch, so I would adapt of of my buttons that is used to scroll though the last pictures taken. Then, I would program my aperture button to also be able to scroll through the last pictures taken. Does that make sense?

     

    Using my idea, I would not lose any features now available to me by my Nexus housing and would have the option to PUSH the center button of what was a 4 position switch and is a 5 position switch on the 300s.

     

    One can program the aperture wheel so that it can also scroll through the last images taken.

     

    Barry

  10. Hi Sam,

     

    Barry just had an idea (and a pretty good one) on how to set up a 4 button multicontroller (up, down, left, and center for example) and not lose any functionality in the camera (by scrolling images via the rear command dial).

  11. Hey Sam, I understand what button we are talking about and I know that it is not a wheel. My idea may not have been clear enough.

     

    My idea, which I did not explain throughly, is that when 1 button is adapted to hit the center of the 4 position switch (by an point adapter to make that button hit the center button), then one either looses the ability to scroll through histograms, etc. or the ability to scroll through the last pictures that were taken.

     

    I would rather not lose the ability to check histograms by using the 4 position switch, so I would adapt of of my buttons that is used to scroll though the last pictures taken. Then, I would program my aperture button to also be able to scroll through the last pictures taken. Does that make sense?

     

    Using my idea, I would not lose any features now available to me by my Nexus housing and would have the option to PUSH the center button of what was a 4 position switch and is a 5 position switch on the 300s.

     

    One can program the aperture wheel so that it can also scroll through the last images taken.

     

    Barry

    Barry,

    Thanks & understood your idea.

     

    Sam

  12. Hi Sam,

     

    Barry just had an idea (and a pretty good one) on how to set up a 4 button multicontroller (up, down, left, and center for example) and not lose any functionality in the camera (by scrolling images via the rear command dial).

     

    Ryan,

    Thanks.

     

    By the way, I got S&S D700 you shipped & we really like the product. It is not the same S&S housing we used to know

    & new ergnomic design was really good. We feel lucky we get this limited product from you.

     

    Sam

  13. Hi Sam,

     

    you said that you have modified a D200 housing to use a D300 in it.

    What are those modifications?

     

    I have a D200 in a Hugyfot housing and think about bying a D300 (or D300S).

     

    best regards

    Robert

  14. Hi Sam,

     

    you said that you have modified a D200 housing to use a D300 in it.

    What are those modifications?

     

    I have a D200 in a Hugyfot housing and think about bying a D300 (or D300S).

     

    best regards

    Robert

     

    It's not possible with Hugyfot, it's such a tight fit. Not like Nexxus with plenty of extra room inside – a downside with the compact size.

     

    /c

  15. It's not possible with Hugyfot, it's such a tight fit. Not like Nexxus with plenty of extra room inside – a downside with the compact size.

     

    /c

     

    Hi Christian,

     

    hmmm, not good. The D200 and the D300 look so similar.

    http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon-...LR-Camera.shtml

     

    So i have to by another D200 as backup.

     

    Thanks a lot

    robert

    Edited by rob1963
  16. Hi Christian,

     

    hmmm, not good. The D200 and the D300 look so similar.

    http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon-...LR-Camera.shtml

     

    So i have to by another D200 as backup.

     

    Thanks a lot

    robert

     

    Yes Rob, they are very similar in size. I tried and it was almost possible ... but the Hugyfot is a very compact housing. If you want something else than a D200, you could have a look at the Fuji S5 Pro. Only 6MP and very slow, but still unbeaten regarding dynamic range-tests in DXO and DP review. Haven't tried it myself, but I know of at least two guys here in Sweden using and raving about them. And their images do look fantastic.

     

    cheers

  17. Rob-

     

    For macro I don't think you buy much with a D300 over a D200. In fact I think the E-3, D200, D300, D2X, 40D are all so close for macro that an upgrade is unnecessary. Save your pennies for a D3X

     

    Tom

  18. Cheers,

     

    i dont want to upgrade. But the D200 is not longer availible (new).

    If the D300 fits its ok for me, if something happens with my D200

    i by a D300 and everything is Ok. But if it doesnt fit, i have to by

    a D200 as backup now, because D200 in good condition are now availible.

     

    I think i go with my housing in a shop an try the d300.

     

    best regards

    robert

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.