Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Lighting Ideas for a LARGE group of people in a pool

Started by asmigel ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Lighting Ideas for a LARGE group of people in a pool

10 posts
  1. Hello all,

     

    Well, I've booked a photo shoot for a swim team.

    I'm super excited, but a little perplexed.

    Typically when I'm photographing people underwater in the pool I'm using artificial light/strobes.

    However, this shoot is for a group of 50 swimmers on the junior olympic team. I'm pretty sure it's just not possible and have resigned to the idea of using a wide angle lens (10-17 Tokina or the 10.5 Nikkor) and a filter.

     

    BUT . . . wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or experience lighting large groups in swimming pools.

     

    Thoughts?

  2. this shoot is for a group of 50 swimmers on the junior olympic team.

     

    A shocked stunned silence descended over Wetpixel......... did this young lady just say fifty, 50, young kids in one underwater shot???? :)

     

    Damn Abi you don't fool around. How long do you have to set this up? OK, you can do this. How about recreating some takeoff on the lavish water ballet number choreographed by Busby Berkley for Esther Williams? Your laughing.... OK think 2 big interlaced circles, their heads toward the center, with you under them. You'll need an assistant or two to get the timing right. In thinking about this there are lots of ways to play it. I'm sure some of the pros who have pulled this type of thing off will jump in with some ideas.

     

    Fun stuff,

    Steve

  3. Is it a constant depth pool (like most lap pools) or does it have a shallow and deep end with an angled drop (like many indoor high school pools that have swimming and diving)?

     

    If it has an angled drop, you could mark spots for each person on the angle, with them facing the deep end for the photo. Making a choir setup, so to speak but having them sitting on the number might be easier. With a number for each spot and each person with a number, they could know their location and do a test dive, etc. The angle might provide several rows of swimmers so they could be tighter for the shot.

    With you on scuba waiting, and setup, your assistant could have them all drop to their spots for the photo.

     

    They would need a weight to hold them in place and make it easier to sink. they could just hand hold the wt.

    Or having steel bars for rows sunk in place would give them a weight to grab and get the lines straight. You could have numbers painted on the bars.

     

    Swimmers of that caliber should be able to hold their breath for longer than ave. Teams used to do breath control drills and likely still do.

     

    Just a thought.

     

    Here is another.

    You could consider an over/under with part of the team sitting on the pool side and part of the team underwater, below them. Matching lighting might be interesting but you would have less horizontal space to light underwater. Could make it 3 rows, one sitting on the side, one standing on the bottom, one on knees underwater - held in place by those standing. It would take some timing and a few attempts.

     

    But I have no experience with the photography, only with being the swimmer.

  4. What a great idea! I didn't think about marking spots for the swimmers on the bottom of the pool.

    I will be visiting the pool this afternoon to check things out.

     

    Handing them dive weights is a good idea as well.

    I photographed a synchronized swimming team about a year ago and they were phenomenal underwater, without even using weights!

     

    Yes Steve, I know I'm crazy! But aren't we all :)

    In the very least it will be a learning experience. At best, it will be a really cool shot with that many kiddos underwater!

  5. Here's the result:

     

    622487604_ejukK-L-0.jpg

     

    We ended up sorting the 53 kids into 3 rows, older kids that could get to 13 feet deep, middle row and the little kids in the back so they wouldn't have to go as deep. Of course you cannot see 3 organized rows underwater, but you can just about see everyone's face in the photo.

    Bubbles end up being a problem for obscuring faces.

     

    All in all, a lot of fun and quite an experience.

  6. Wow that's cool! I have been out of town so I didn't get to chime in on this one. It looks like I couldn't have helped anyway as you did a great job and couldn't have organized this better.

     

    Cheers

    James

  7. Way to go Abi! I'll bet they are happy with this one. Nicely done.

     

    How come no matter what you do, there is always one kid with their eyes shut? :)

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  8. Looks like the kids were having as much fun as you were.

    Congratulations on the photo and the experience. The kids will always remember having their group photo taken underwater and the fun they had with it.

    Having fun, getting paid and giving kids a lifetime experience - all in one event. How can you beat that?

  9. Way to go - well done. Did you use the 10.5mm?

  10. Yes! It was super fun.

    Kind of wish I had a bird's eye view of the whole thing. I was underwater when the coach was counting them down!

     

    Stephen, yes, I did end up using the 10.5. Love that lens.

     

    ~abi

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.