Skip to content

Copyright Issues, Non-Payment, Fraud, Theft / Archived topic

Flickr advice- photo request

Started by Damo ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Flickr advice- photo request

9 posts
  1. Hi girls and guys...

     

    Just got a request this morning to use a leopard shark photo from my flickr site.

    I have checked the person out and she is genuine.

     

    However, am a little wary that if I accept this offer, my whole gallery could be exposed to copyright plunder/image mining

     

    Any advice please greatfully received.

     

    Damo

     

    Request as follows...........

     

    Hello,

     

    My name is Cynthia and I work for NowPublic.com, a participatory journalism website. I wish to include your photos in an article about leopard sharks, and would like to request your permission to do so. Please check out the article and site at the link below in order to give permission, and thank you very much for your consideration.

     

    Sincerely,

     

    Cynthia Khoo

    Intern

    NowPublic Technologies

    www.NowPublic.com

    ckhoo@nowpublic.com

  2. I don't really know a lot about this type of thing but presumably you can specify exactly which shots they can use.

  3. The article in question is about leopard sharks, Triakis spp. whereas your photo is of the zebra shark (a.k.a. leopard shark), Stegostoma fasciatum, a much larger and more tropical species.

     

    http://www.nowpublic.com/environment/2-leo...rwalk-trash-can

    Edited by danielandrewclem
  4. The article in question is about leopard sharks, Triakis spp. whereas your photo is of the zebra shark (a.k.a. leopard shark), Stegostoma fasciatum, a much larger and more tropical species.

     

    http://www.nowpublic.com/environment/2-leo...rwalk-trash-can

     

    Ahh yes...........well spotted daniel-thanks a million for this

  5. No problem. These species are conflated all the time. The problem is, the name "zebra shark" suits Stegastoma only when it's a baby, and after that the name "leopard shark" seems so much more appropriate.

     

    I commented on the site, so maybe they'll take down the video of the Thai Stegastoma.

  6. shark species notwithstanding, I imagine the people who email you for permission are unlikely to be the ones you need to worry about.

  7. A few months ago I received a request to use a photo of a Komodo dragon from the same group based in Vancouver BC, I gave approval, no problem so far...

  8. How would saying yes expose you to any risk you don't already face?

  9. How would saying yes expose you to any risk you don't already face?

     

     

    True Jeremy...true :)

     

    Tanx for posts everyone

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.