Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

ys90dx with aquatica d100

Started by wesley ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

ys90dx with aquatica d100

15 posts
  1. Hi

     

    Just got a YS90DX for my Aquatica D100 housing and cannot get the strobe to fire. The camera is set to manual flash and manual yet the strobe will not fire. What am I forgetting?

  2. Wesley

    What do you mean by manual flash on the camera?

     

    On camera: manual program mode. User adjusts aperture and shutter values to desired exposure.

     

    Strobe: Set to manual power, slave off. User selects flash output and varies flash to subject distance for fill in exposure.

     

    This may sound obvious but check that the strobe is not set on Slave.

     

    If the power to camera and strobe are both on then the flash will always fire unless you are pointing the lens into bright light.

     

    If all this is OK then maybe you need to check your cable?

     

    PauP

  3. In the Menu of the D100 there is an option to tell the camera that you are using a non-Nikon-TTL strobe. Read the manual and set it to get the strobe fired.

  4. What sync cord are you using? Have you covered the appropriate pin connections for non-TTL operation?

  5. Hi

     

    Thanks for the suggestions but all settings are correct. I have used a ys90dx in the past on a sea and sea dx100 housing without a problem. Everything is set correctly. Not on DTTL in the camera menu and set on Manual.

     

    Scorpio Fish-With the YS90DX and sea and sea strobe cord I do not think you have to block any pin connections.

     

    Anybody have any other ideas...I appreciate the help as I am on my way to Honduras tomorrow!

  6. Are you seeing a red lightning bolt in your viewfinder?

  7. In the Menu of the D100 there is an option to tell the camera that you are using a non-Nikon-TTL strobe.

    Andi - Which menu item is this?

  8. yes I have a blinking red lightning bolt in the view finder but the shutter will not even open when fully depressing the shutter release.

  9. So from what the manual says the problem is that i need to set the strobe to maual and the camera to manual flash....which it is but I am still having the same problem. I will try it on my buddy's Aquatica housing and see if the problem persists

  10. I don't think it is supposed to be flashing. You should have a solid red lightning bolt. It flashes after it fires. I don't have my housing handy.

     

    Does anyone out there now if the Sea&Sea housing has a fully wired TTL bulkhead? It's possible that the TTL is not wired for the Sea&Sea, so the standard cord works, whereas the Aquatica has a fully wired connector.

  11. Wesley,

     

    I got my unit set up. Once I found some strobes with a charge.... I replicated your problem. It has to do with the sync cord connection to your bulkhead. Remove cable from bulkhead and check your pins. Make sure they are lined up correctly.

     

    The red lightning bolt should be solid, not flashing. A post fire flashing means a full discharge.

     

    Also, check the pins on the hot shoe connector. I have seem them pushed up and not making contact.

  12. yes its not supposed to be flashing. The manual says that if it is flashing than the strobe is non TTL and the camera needs to be set to non TTL...but it is set to non TTL. So are you thinking I need a different synch cable than the sea and sea?

  13. What is usuall done is to wire only 2 pins in the hotshoe, providing manual strobe control.

     

    I know Sea & Sea wires only 2 pins in their D100 housing hot shoe, and Ikelite uses a sync cord that doesn't support the quench line.

     

    If aquatica wires all 5 pins, then you'll need to block off the contact.

     

    http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/sync_cord_d1x.html

  14. Humor me. look at Stephen Frink's diagram and put a piece of scotch tape over the designated connector on your hot shoe.

     

    You need to get a constant red lightning bolt.

  15. Ryan and Scorpio Fish!

     

    Thanks! Apparently the connector needs to be blocked in order for the YS90DX to work in manual with the Aquatica D100 housing. Blocked the connection and all is working fine. A dive trip saved. Thanks so much I owe you one!

     

    Wesley

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.