Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

file transfer.....

Started by WaterWorks ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

file transfer.....

19 posts
  1. Dear WPers

     

    I am using various different options for my FTP:

     

    Fetch

    FileZilla

    GoDaddy's built in FTP engine

     

    and they all have one thing in common - they start with an apt upload speed (approx. 150KB/s) but within a few seconds have slowed down to nearly nothing! (around the 10KB/s mark!!!!)

     

    any advice / help / or pointers would be gratefully appreciated....

     

    thanks alot

     

    Chris (I'm not Dean B :)) E

  2. I've used the Fire FTP add-in for Firefox very happily.

  3. Chris, I think you probably need to look at your network connection. I use Filezilla all the time and don't notice any slowdown while uploading files.

  4. Maybe you're being throttled by your ISP!

     

    My favorite is Transmit (for Mac OS).

  5. Another vote for FireFTP (if you use Firefox)

     

    As suggested, likely to be your line speed that's the problem, noting that the download speed is likely to be different from the upload. Google "line speed test" , lots to choose.

    Edited by Balrog
  6. Transmit for Mac - simple to use and fast.

  7. Dear WPers

     

    I am using various different options for my FTP:

     

    Fetch

    FileZilla

    GoDaddy's built in FTP engine

     

    and they all have one thing in common - they start with an apt upload speed (approx. 150KB/s) but within a few seconds have slowed down to nearly nothing! (around the 10KB/s mark!!!!)

     

    any advice / help / or pointers would be gratefully appreciated....

     

    thanks alot

     

    Chris (I'm not Dean B :)) E

     

    Defo not ... Although if you keep asking for advice on here your be the next 'empty vessel' and 'techno chimp' :) apparently you either A) should know it all already or B) just try another help forum...

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(whats that button for)B

  8. Defo not ... Although if you keep asking for advice on here your be the next 'empty vessel' and 'techno chimp' :) apparently you either A) should know it all already or B) just try another help forum...

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(whats that button for)B

     

    mate - I couldn't resist it..... :( I definitely owe you a beer for being such a good sport and allowing me to use your name in such a cheap attempt at wit... :)

     

    my problem is that I know veeeeeery little about the TRUE techy side of these things.... gimme graphics / photoshop / video / an iphone / a Mac etc and I'll go off on one about it.... ask me about Hyper Text Markup Language or Cascading Style Sheets etc and I'll tell you to "Google it".... (and then so will I) :)

     

    back on topic - thanks for all your advice chaps.... this could be a throttling thing as I'm not on my own network at the moment (in BKK). I got my speedtests sorted and they report nothing out of the ordinary - the usual u/l speed of half the rate of d/l.....

     

    I'll see how it all goes when I'm back in the studio... it's never had a problem there....

     

    My beef is that it starts so optimistically - then collapses before my very eyes!

     

    I'm gonna try both FireFTP and Transmit now.... will let you all know how it goes....

     

    Thanks again gang and cheers again to the one and only Dean B....

     

    Chris

  9. you should come to Palau where 10KB/s is a cause for celebration....

    But then the electicity fails and thats it for another few hours....

  10. I would also suspect the connection.

     

    Best FTP software I've found for Mac: Transmit

     

    Best FTP software I've found for PC: WS_FTP

     

    CyberDuck is another good option on the Mac, and free.

    Edited by CompuDude
  11. Both Transmit and CyberDuck have Dashboard widgets, which make uploading to frequently-used sites really convenient. I just start dragging my file, hit the Dashboard keyboard button, and drag it to the target. Done!

     

    Transmit also supports saving "Droplets". Same idea, but they are shortcut files that live on the desktop or in folders (just drop the file you want to upload on top of the shortcut).

  12. Here's a video of me using the Transmit Dashboard widget.

     

    Edited by echeng
  13. Cool, Eric - never thought about dashboard. Looks like the truck is starting up when you drag and drop! I'm going to set that up - thanks. What's the "Staging" icon on your desktop all about?

  14. It's just a holding area so my desktop doesn't get cluttered. :)

  15. thanks for all that guys....

     

    well I'm back in my own two Apple Airport networks at home and down the office and everything's fine....

     

    Seemingly a hangup between "slow" connections and my Airport on the MBP screwing around whilst on a Windows WiFi network... :wacko:

     

    cheers for all the input again guys.....

  16. Just to throw it out there as another option, since I use Photo Mechanic on a daily basis you can, and I do, FTP straight from the contact sheet. You can set up different connections to choose from plus apply other options. It works extremely well. It works equally well on a Mac or PC.

  17. I think I know the answer but would appreciate some techies confirming my thoughts....

     

    Hypothetically speaking.... I have a folder (lets say, for argument's sake, is only 100KB) with lots of different TINY files inside it.... (a few bytes, some of them!)

     

    Now.... FTP goes through EACH little file working out this, that and the other, before eventually throwing it online....

     

    So in effect, my 100KB folder takes stupid amount of time to upload because FTP wants to go step by (painfully slow) step!! File by file!

     

    I am just looking for someone to say "stop winging Chris, that's life", or something similar.... Or am I setting things up all wrong so that it takes this long???

     

    Bored of waiting!!!!

     

    Thanks in advance.....

  18. In that case, if you're lucky enough to have shell access and know your way around a command line, you can save a TON of transfer time by zipping the tiny files together, transferring up the one big file, which will let you really max out your transfer rate, and then unzip it on the other side via command line.

     

    Absent that, yeah, FTPing tons of small files sucks a lot.

  19. Compudude - you've made my day! :)

     

    Thanks for the confirmation..

     

    All the best

     

    Chris

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.