Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Finding the right music for a video clip

Started by seansrs968 ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Finding the right music for a video clip

11 posts
  1. This is one the hardest things for me trying to find the right music to fit a video clip. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? I know this is kinda of a crap shoot.

     

    Sean

  2. Sean

    If you search the archives, there are several outlets you can try.

  3. This is one the hardest things for me trying to find the right music to fit a video clip. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? I know this is kinda of a crap shoot.

     

    Sean

     

    I can't even begin to tell you how many hours I've spent trying to find the right music combo for my videos. Hours and hours! To me it's way harder to find that than shooting and editing video. I've spent hours on Amazon.com listening to samples of different music.

     

    Of course that brings up the whole topic of using already recorded music by different artists as opposed to creating your own using the various music creating software. Either way it takes some time. I tend to go with a "smooth jazz" type of sound with a lot of my videos that I think works pretty well. Some of the music I have used has been by Najee, Boney James, Grover Washington Jr., and Dave Koz. Also Sting has some good music. But let me say that these videos are usually just trip videos for me and my friends and I don't sell them (no one would by it anyway :) ) or publish them anywhere. They are just for home entertainment so I'm in no way profiting off someone else or hurting their sales.

     

    However, it has been recommended to me a couple of times to purchase Sonic Fire Pro and start creating my own music so I am now looking into that.

  4. Sonic Fire Pro is great, really great, but it can end up costing quite a lot if you are just using it for recreational purposes. If you need a license then SFP it is hard to beat unless you can write and play your own music, which I have zero ability at!

     

    Cheers, Simon

  5. This is one the hardest things for me trying to find the right music to fit a video clip. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? I know this is kinda of a crap shoot.

     

    Sean

     

    Do you know the "Cafe del Mar" cd's? Chill Out music that fits any underwater movie.... try it! There are 16 of them plus a few special ones so enough to choose from!

  6. Do you know the "Cafe del Mar" cd's? Chill Out music that fits any underwater movie.... try it! There are 16 of them plus a few special ones so enough to choose from!

     

    don't mean to sound toooooo negative but:

     

    All of the Cafe del Mar discs have become SUCH a cliche to the "u/w video" that when I started up all those years ago it was banned outright in my videos....

     

    nearly "every video" (mass over generalisation, but hey....) out there will have a tune from Cafe Del Mar and, god it's boring, monotonous, unoriginal etc.....

     

    the biggest problem we face is something called "taste" - what I like, the next man will hate...... what the next man likes, I will surely hate.....

     

    count yourself lucky you're not producing the soundtrack yourself - the client can get really annoying sometimes..... :(

     

    Mark Thorpe made an excellent sequence a few years ago called Technocean..... it was a mindf**k of flashing lights, fast cuts, crazy compositing and freaky, fast-tempo, break beats..... but it's not online any more... I've got a copy of it (cos I save these things when I download 'em) but wouldn't wanna re-upload it without his permission....

     

    The point is: if you want your vids to stand out then move away from the bog-standard slow tempo, easy watching cliched normal u/w video that everyone makes.... otherwise it's "just another u/w vid"

     

    you say it's for private viewing pleasure? then let rip my friend! Grab some Sex Pistols and edit up something freaky-deaky to entertain the masses.....

     

    then let us see it :)

     

    or buy a Mac and make your own soundtrack in an afternoon....... :) good luck with whatever you choose,yeah?

  7. I've found some interesting music at Jamendo.com

  8. Mark Thorpe made an excellent sequence a few years ago called Technocean..... it was a mindf**k of flashing lights, fast cuts, crazy compositing and freaky, fast-tempo, break beats..... but it's not online any more... I've got a copy of it (cos I save these things when I download 'em) but wouldn't wanna re-upload it without his permission....

     

    I remember that video - it was a completely new take on anything I'd ever seen before. Wish it was still online!

     

    Cheers, Simon

  9. I too have found Jamendo.com a good resource. Lots on there, but it is well indexed. Much of it can be used with just an acknowledgement to the artist if it is for personal or amateur use. Licences are available if used commercially.

     

    Roger

  10. buy cubase, a handful of VST software synths and compose away like wot i do.

  11. buy cubase, a handful of VST software synths and compose away like wot i do.

     

    CuBase? What?

     

    or buy a more sensible choice of software - that won't demand a steep learning curve - such as Soundtrack / Garageband (if you're on a Mac) or FruitLoops or suchlike for PC and create a soundtrack in half an hour.....

     

    JonnyBoy - there isn't any music on your website. I'd love to hear what you're creating.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.