I just finished my very first HD project, used Vegas Pro 8 and now have to burn it to Blu-Ray. The 440 paqe manual says I have two choices - 15 Mbps AVC or 25 Mbps MPEG-2. Seems that 25 Mbps would produce better video though a larger file but this was shot in AVCHD (1920x1080). Is there a noticeable difference in the visual quality of either one? Is the format going to matter to the Blu-Ray player? After all this money and work I'd like to see the best. Nothing in the Vegas manual on these questions, nothing in the WETPIXEL Search, either.
One other question - can anyone recommend a good primer for HD video editing. The Vegas manual is not the place to learn the basics!
Thanks....
I just finished my very first HD project, used Vegas Pro 8 and now have to burn it to Blu-Ray. The 440 paqe manual says I have two choices - 15 Mbps AVC or 25 Mbps MPEG-2. Seems that 25 Mbps would produce better video though a larger file but this was shot in AVCHD (1920x1080). Is there a noticeable difference in the visual quality of either one? Is the format going to matter to the Blu-Ray player? After all this money and work I'd like to see the best. Nothing in the Vegas manual on these questions, nothing in the WETPIXEL Search, either.
One other question - can anyone recommend a good primer for HD video editing. The Vegas manual is not the place to learn the basics!
Thanks....
try the 2-pop forums mate.... here's the link to the Sony Vegas one:
I thought that you just made a H.264 file which is 1920x1080 and then burnt that to a Blu Ray disk, or in fact you could even chuck it onto a standard disk as long as it is less than 4.7 Gb?
I know that not all Blu Ray players will play it but I have a feeling the majoity will.
I will try and find the link explaining the process,
Jon
Hi
Go H.264 if it will not fit on a Blu_Ray disk.
But H.264 takes much longer to encode out and takes more CPU power to play hence my have more playing problems with different players etc.
Go the much faster to render out and easy to play MPEG 2 file if space on the disk is not a problem.
You will be hard to pick the difference between 15mbps H.264 and 25-35mbps MPEG2.
Hi
Go H.264 if it will not fit on a Blu_Ray disk.
But H.264 takes much longer to encode out and takes more CPU power to play hence my have more playing problems with different players etc.
Go the much faster to render out and easy to play MPEG 2 file if space on the disk is not a problem.
You will be hard to pick the difference between 15mbps H.264 and 25-35mbps MPEG2.
This is about 15 min of underwater HD video and a soundtrack so I'm thinking that won't be filling up the disc. The compatability you bring up issue is a concern. I would think that all players would handle both but maybe not - new area here. I really want this to look as good as the raw footage I played back (awesome) so we'll do what we have to do.
I thought that you just made a H.264 file which is 1920x1080 and then burnt that to a Blu Ray disk, or in fact you could even chuck it onto a standard disk as long as it is less than 4.7 Gb?
I know that not all Blu Ray players will play it but I have a feeling the majoity will.
I will try and find the link explaining the process,
Jon
Jon - I did an .avi preview at 720x480 and it ran to 3.4 gig. Don't know how much a H.264 file would ratio to that but I don't think it will fit a DVD though I sure wish it would for 15 min. of video - Blu-Ray discs are expensive! If you find a link I would very much appreciate it.
Hi
Go H.264 if it will not fit on a Blu_Ray disk.
But H.264 takes much longer to encode out and takes more CPU power to play hence my have more playing problems with different players etc.
Go the much faster to render out and easy to play MPEG 2 file if space on the disk is not a problem.
You will be hard to pick the difference between 15mbps H.264 and 25-35mbps MPEG2.
Wags, i've noticed a slight difference in artifacting when rendered to H264 blue ray compared to 25mbps mpeg 2. It was a scene with a lot of blue water background in a pool where the artifacting showed up - you had to get up close though on a 50" LCD. I play back files via the playstation 3 and it works great for me. Just starting to get my head round this AVCHD format though. it's quite jittery in vegas but manageable.