Eric
Why don't you just use the software from Garmin? Roadtrip does a decent job of remembering way points. The Garmin maps are relatively cheap for international maps and if you're really bored, you can make your own. It's not up to the Vista version which can transfer to Google Earth but it's part of the deal and you have access to a good choice of maps at decent prices.
I wanted to use NavX but the world map was $300 for a DVD.
I bought the BlueChart Pacific and Atlantic maps all by Navteq for $200 and those get updated for life. Yes the charts for Indonesian waters aren't the most accurate with GPS. But you have a good little program that's free and will do basic stuff.
It's not perfect. The Mobile XT versions aren't really cross compatible with the normal NT and mapsource maps which is BS but you can use your blackberry with XT. I use my garmin to get around asia and africa with the various maps I buy. Again they aren't perfect, but it beats out quite a few others.
The biggest drawback of the Garmin software is the prevalence of Windoze DVD/CD/SD. If you want to use them on a Mac, you have to convert them into a mac type file and with my collection of DVDs, it took awhile.