Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

SHARKS behaving BADLY...

Started by Drewski ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

SHARKS behaving BADLY...

7 posts
  1. ...is just NOT what this video is about. Most of the time sand tiger sharks in North Carolina are indifferent at best or shy at worst in terms of being cooperative for video. THIS shark approached me from behind on the far side of the wreck and practically ran me over just to let me know she was there. Once I started pointing the camera at HER, she did pass after pass with a very nice smile. I did this quick teaser reel for the guy in the last clip (when a cloud passed overhead, unfortunately) who just had to see what he looked like when she gave him the eye.

     

    Now if I could just teach that shark to do this stuff AWAY from the anchor line, LOL. BTW, in the closest pass, subject distance to the lens is about 12 inches.

     

     

    I'm shooting with a PD-170 in a Gates Housing using a Fathom SWP-35 110 degree port. Settings are shutter 1/100, exposure F 5.6, white balance off the sun. The wreck is in 70 FT of water, horizontal visibility was a cloudy 20 FT.

     

    STEVE, buddy, when are you coming diving?

     

    Andy

  2. Drewski,

    Next trip you plan...then I can die happy. Beautiful shots, I am SOOOOO jealous

    steve

    ps. Love the music...what is it, from where? It fits perfectly

    Edited by steve
  3. ...is just NOT what this video is about. Most of the time sand tiger sharks in North Carolina are indifferent at best or shy at worst in terms of being cooperative for video. THIS shark approached me from behind on the far side of the wreck and practically ran me over just to let me know she was there. Once I started pointing the camera at HER, she did pass after pass with a very nice smile. I did this quick teaser reel for the guy in the last clip (when a cloud passed overhead, unfortunately) who just had to see what he looked like when she gave him the eye.

     

    Great stuff. I always hear great things about those wrecks off N.C. (Which one was that? Looked like good visibility...)

  4. Great footage!!! I agree with steve, the music is spot on!!

    Thanks for sharing!

  5. Very nice video Drewski!

  6. Love the music...what is it, from where?

    HA!

     

    First, thanks everyone for the compliments...

     

    Steve, it's from, surprise (!), Sonicfire Pro, Mystery/Undercover/Odyssey (PS19) "The Waiting" variation. Can you believe I just exported the track to the time length I needed, threw it down on the FCP time line and then did NO editing to get it right? I listened to it like 5 times while replaying the video and really couldn't see how to improve the timing for a short clip. Beginners luck, LOL. Which, given how much I'm enjoying learning FCP, was NICE! Does Ripple Training give multi DVD discounts?

     

    I'm serious about the diving, would you like me to PM you some dates for June 2010?

     

    Andy

  7. Great stuff. I always hear great things about those wrecks off N.C. (Which one was that? Looked like good visibility...)

     

    Hi Drew:

     

    The wreck is actually the "Tug," just a little prepared artificial shipwreck sank several years back about 4 miles southeast of Hatteras Inlet. It's a beginners wreck for the area, but JAMMED with fish. We wanted some photo time so we dived it on the way back in. Underwater visibility varied, but it was a cloudy 20 to 30 FT. That Fathom port I use makes just about anything look good!

     

    Here's a link to a guy with a GREAT idea. He's using Google Maps and Google Earth to plot all the wrecks off North Carolina. The tug's not on here yet. If more places did this, it would be REALLY cool. Most of the shipwrecks I dive are on this map.

     

    THANKS...

     

    Andy

    Edited by Drewski
WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.