Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

UR pro filter with digi cameras?

Started by Spinner ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

UR pro filter with digi cameras?

3 posts
  1. Is a UR Pro filter any use for a digital camera? I know that they really make a difference when used with digital camcorders underwater, but will they just give the whole picture an orange cast if I use one with my 4040/PT-010?

     

    Thanks.

     

    Ben

  2. They will work with the digicam just like they will with a camcorder. If you use no artificial light source (i.e., a flash), the filter will help correct the color balance. However, what you get will depend on depth, amount of natural light, what's in the water, etc. IMHO, it is easier to add red back in in Photoshop if you have to, and since strobe light makes such a big difference in image quality, I'd forego the filter in a minute if it meant I could use a strobe, even if it was only the camera's internal one . . .

     

    Mike

  3. It does depend on how deep your diving.

    I do most of my diving in shallow water

    !5-40 ft. I find that white balancing is

    better than using a UR-Pro filter.

    Using the filter takes about 3 F stops

    from your exposure.

    Most consumer cameras are poor in low

    light. Any gains in light are gains in picture

    quality.

    Other wise a flash is your best friend.

     

    Stay Wet,

    Marc

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.