Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Housing 500D, how do they compare?

Started by oskar ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Housing 500D, how do they compare?

9 posts
  1. I will get a 500D for family photos now, but would also like to use it UW, and is considering the options as I'm stepping (up) from a S&S compact rig. I'm really into WA shooting, so I want to get something like the 10-17 Tokina + Dome right from the start. This is somewhat of a "budget SLR WA setup", however I know that the budget and UW SLR don't go very well together :-)

     

    * How does Ikelite compare with the RDX S&S housing in terms of bulkiness and usability?

     

    * I have a YS110 (not alpha) already, can I use that in full with both options, or do I need to trade it for a Ikelite flash?

     

    * Recommendations of any other housing options I should look at, please? I have no UW SLR experience at all. I'm thinking Ikelite because they seem to have a big user community, and Sea&sea because I use them today (I have not so positive experiences of S&S support).

     

     

    Cheers

    O

  2. I will get a 500D for family photos now, but would also like to use it UW, and is considering the options as I'm stepping (up) from a S&S compact rig. I'm really into WA shooting, so I want to get something like the 10-17 Tokina + Dome right from the start. This is somewhat of a "budget SLR WA setup", however I know that the budget and UW SLR don't go very well together :-)

     

    * How does Ikelite compare with the RDX S&S housing in terms of bulkiness and usability?

     

    * I have a YS110 (not alpha) already, can I use that in full with both options, or do I need to trade it for a Ikelite flash?

     

    * Recommendations of any other housing options I should look at, please? I have no UW SLR experience at all. I'm thinking Ikelite because they seem to have a big user community, and Sea&sea because I use them today (I have not so positive experiences of S&S support).

     

     

    Cheers

    O

     

    I recently went through this same decision process, upgrading from a compact to a DSLR housing for the 500D so I might be able to give you some insight. Take everything I say with a grain of salt, as I have yet to actually get into the water with any DSLR housing.

     

    I was slightly surprised by how bulky the S&S housing was when I first saw it in person, and I think the Ikelite is even larger. I did not initially consider the Ikelite housing because I was dead set on the S&S RDX housing, but I eventually returned the S&S and went w/ the Watershot housing instead. The cost of the two housings is actually somewhat comparable because the watershot comes with a standard port (which I plan to use with the 60mm macro lens). There were a few things about the Watershot housing that seemed to be an improvement over the the S&S (at least to me):

     

    - RDX is polycarbonate, while the WS is aluminum. Both housings are nice, but the WS just feels more solid.

    - WS housing is more compact. One thing that I really liked about the WS is that the housing is designed so that the flash is only partially open, making it more compact whereas the S&S houses the camera with the flash fully popped up. To me, it indicates that some thought was put into the design.

    - WS comes with a leak sensor

    - I am using ULCS tray/handles, and because of the design of the latches with the S&S, I would need to adjust or remove the handles every time I wanted to remove the camera from the housing because of the way they pop out laterally on both sides. I don't think this is an issue with the S&S tray/handles, though, as there is a removable tray.

    - The fiber optic connectors on the WS are nicer IMO. You can plug the fiber directly into them, whereas with the S&S you need a small rubber plug to hold the fiber in. This is minor, but it's 2 more small bits you don't have to worry about losing.

     

    It may sound like I'm a big fan of the WS, but there is a *big* problem with that housing right now -- there are still no ports available other than the included standard port. Like you, I was planning on using the tokina 10-17 for WA but the dome port is not yet available, and AFAIK there's no definite date as to when they will be, although I keep hearing "soon". The wetpixel.com review mentions that there is an adapter that allows it to use an Athena dome port, but this isn't actually true. In any case, this is a worrying sign as the housing has been out for well over 6 months. I really do like the design of the WS housing, but unless the company gets their act together I can't recommend going that route unfortunately.

     

    If you can stretch your budget, you might want to look at the seatool housing.

  3. Good points there. I have not handled an Ikelite house so I'll try to find someone around to see how "bad" it is.

     

    I was comparing prices between an Ikelite setup and S&S with dome for that fisheye zoom, and it's slightly favorable to Ikelite as for example handles are included.

     

    Watershot have listed a dome now, at $900, but they are also listing an acrylic one as TBD, is that the one you are waiting for?

     

    Cheers

    O

  4. Watershot have listed a dome now, at $900, but they are also listing an acrylic one as TBD, is that the one you are waiting for?

    The glass dome is listed, but there aren't any actually available at the moment... hopefully soon, though. I won't even try to guess when/if the acrylic dome will be available.

  5. The glass dome is listed, but there aren't any actually available at the moment... hopefully soon, though. I won't even try to guess when/if the acrylic dome will be available.

    The Sea and Sea is actually quite a bit smaller than the Ikelite and a bit bigger than the Watershot. The advantage of the Sea and Sea is that with an adapter you can use either Sea and Sea or Subal ports. The handle is expensive but an ULCS tray and handles are available for much less money. Modern housings are all aiming at smaller is better but there is a limit. I actually think that the RDX with the flash up is much more friendly underwater particularly with strobes since it is much less negative. Don't underestimate the pain of holding up a small but heavy housing for 40 dives. Of course you can add flotation but as Archimedes learned a little air space in the housing can go a long way to alleviating the pain in the wrist of holding the camera up for a long time. On the Watershot, I was unable to get the internal flash to fire an Athena ringflash but the RDX had no issues, probably I was using an inferior cable but the RDX seems to have better flash output than the Watershot. The watershot is also a bit heavier but the RDX is a bit larger for travel. YMMV

     

    Bill

  6. Thanks.

     

    What about using Sea&Sea YS110 flash with the setup. I imagine the cables are no problem with the S&S housing (although TTL is an optional extra isn't it?), but does it work with Ikelite or Watershot for instance?

     

    Cheers

    O

  7. I have the Sea & Sea with the compact glass dome. The housing is compact and the engineering is amazing. I highly recommend this camera and housing setup. I also have the tokina 10-17 and I love it. This is one wide angle setup that can be had on a budget. Considering my 5d Mark II set up cost about $10k the $3k I spent on the 500d/t1i is a score.

     

    If you wait, the Aquatica T1i might be a hair less expensive than the Sea & Sea, but it might not.

  8. Thanks.

     

    What about using Sea&Sea YS110 flash with the setup. I imagine the cables are no problem with the S&S housing (although TTL is an optional extra isn't it?), but does it work with Ikelite or Watershot for instance?

     

    Cheers

    O

     

    I think fiber optic cables are the way to go, and your strobe would work in this fashion just fine w/ the S&S and watershot housings. I'm not sure about the Ikelite, however.

     

    The RDX housing probably does have a better flash output than the watershot just based on the design, but I haven't had any issues w/ it firing inon s2000s. Maybe it depends on how sensitive the strobes are?

  9. I have the Sea & Sea with the compact glass dome. The housing is compact and the engineering is amazing. I highly recommend this camera and housing setup. I also have the tokina 10-17 and I love it. This is one wide angle setup that can be had on a budget.

     

    My thought is exactly to get a WA setup. However I am considering rectilinear alternatives, as I am soetimes involved in archeological projects where it would be necessary to get accurate angle representation. (It does not justify my buying two WA setups though)

     

    Does anyone have experience in post processing Tokina 10-17 UW fisheye images to rectilinear? (Like with PTLens http://www.epaperpress.com/ptlens/index.html - examples)

     

     

     

    /O

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.