Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

12-24 on location

Started by StephenFrink ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

12-24 on location

10 posts
  1. I just got back from an editorial assignment in the Bahamas and had a chance to use the 12-24 Nikkor zoom a little more. It seems to have tremendous potential for those shooting Nikon or Fuji D-SLRs For more details see:

     

    http://www.stephenfrink.com/seacam/1224zoom.shtml

     

    Steve

  2. Nice samples. Thank you Stephen. Does the lens automatically take such great shots?

     

    Did you use a split diopter on the over/unders?

     

    Were shots 16, 17 and 18 outside the housing? Looks like you used a hard stop GND? The sky looks much darker as you move to the top.

  3. Thanks for the kind words. As for the split diopter, as it turns out the one I have for my old manual style 18mm fits this lens, but I did not use it for these shots. The extreme depth of field and light bounce from the white sand made it unnecessary.

     

    The topside shots were outside the housing. As for the dark sky, I wish I would have had a graduated neutral density for the sky. It is a straight shot, but the extreme contrast range between the powder white sand and the sky made the sky appear dark. I shot the same set-up on Velvia, and had the same effect. A little creative filtration would have helped.

     

    Steve

  4. Stephen, those were - as always - great photos. I especially loved the Great Whites.

     

    The 12-24mm lens that I ordered was delivered this morning, so I'm really pumped about using it now that I've seen your photos.

  5. Hey Jimbo, the first batch of Aquatica zoom gears for the 12-24mm just came off the presses, so to speak.

     

    Mine should be arriving tomorrow.

  6. Hey Jimbo, the first batch of Aquatica zoom gears for the 12-24mm just came off the presses...

    Thanks! Did you get it directly from Aquatica?

     

    Jim

  7. Scorpio_fish is an Aquatica dealer - so he probably got the gear(s) from Aquatica.

     

    Cheers

    James

  8. Ah! Thanks.

  9. scorpio - can you get me one of those - or might I be able to pick one up at DEMA?

  10. I will check on availability. Marriard got the other one I ordered.

     

    The first batch will be the set screw style until Blake gets his 12-24mm to measure. Once he has an exact measurement, he will produce an o-ring style gear. I hate set screws.

     

    They will definitely be available for DEMA.

     

    The SB80DX case should be on display at DEMA also.

     

    He will also have a prototype for the Hasselblad panorama camera (film). This will be special order for anyone with more money than brains, or the professional who really needs one. One of the Doubilet's Sport Diver shots was taken with the Hassie Pano.

     

    I've been out shooting with someone who had the Fuji version of this camera. It's a brick like rangefinder. Really cool, but difficult to compose with. A bit pricey, too. Sorry, I forgot this was a digital forum.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.