Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

U/W Rig and Surface Rig

Started by WanderingBob ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

U/W Rig and Surface Rig

10 posts
  1. I'm not sure if this will lead to discussion, thoughts or just pacification, but here goes ...

     

    So, iffin I had $10,000 to blow. I think, (in my limited experience), the ultimate travel set up would be 2-D300s bodies and a housing that'll allow you to use all their features and a set of lenses to be used by both. But, if frogs had wings ...

     

    In my real world, I had planned to go FF and get rid of the DX system so I bought a D700, then I found you guys! DX is a cheaper route to start offering more options.

     

    Currently, I have a D300 and a D700. I was trying to have a travel set up with the same format on two bodies in case one were to fail. Going with a DX system underwater seemed "the best" starting point for me. I was able to find a "smokin deal" on a used housing (still not gotten wet though ;) ), and am apparently going that route. So, right now I have to carry 2 different bodies and separate lenses for both.

     

    Do you dedicate one body for the housing? I mean, I have to take off the neck strap, eye piece, and LCD protector (and not sure what else), to put it in the housing. Or do you put that stuff back on and shoot with the same camera after diving?

     

    For D300 U/W I have a 12-24 and a 10-17, but would also have the option of taking the 18-200, and 70-300 for walk around if I had the second DX body.

     

    I suppose I would dedicate the D700 (FF) to surface shots and walk around camera and leave the DX system for U/W. But, that would really require me to take 3 more lenses. 20-35, 28-105 and 70-300(which I could use on both).

     

    Does anyone travel with 2 differet body formats? Do you shudder at a possible leak and being dead in the water on a trip?

     

    It seems with a housing dedicated to a single camera you really have to trust your housing or have a backup.

     

    The D300s' video option intrigues me, so I would perhaps be looking at that down the road, unless the newer D700's came with video as well!

     

    Reading through the Forum, I see those that some say DX is the way to go U/W and there are those that have gone FX and will never look back.

     

    Just trying to brain storm and twist my head some more.

     

    It's only money and ... "they wouldn't bust their bellies"

  2. I travel with 2 bodies that will fit in the same housing, presently a D2X and a D2H. So far the D2H has not had to fulfill the backup role while on the road. ;)

    Tom

  3. Two different formats (DX and FX) with a different set of lens for each. Wow.

     

    I think you might want to consider a few other technicalities that might have slipped by in your deliberations.

     

    Are you planning to travel? If so, remember the airlines are very strict on weight allowances these days. You may have to pay dearly for the luxury of having two camera formats and lenses to go with each format.

     

    If you use a third party camera strap that has carbiner-like clips at the strap ends then it means its' only a snap or two for the camera strap to be on or off the camera. I leave the eye piece and LCD screen protector in place when I put the camera in the housing.

     

    Some how the effort involved in removing those three items every time I want to put my camera into its' housing, doesn't seem so laborious that I want to throw copious amounts of money into a second camera system to alleviate the pain.

     

    The more times you put your camera into its' housing and remove the camera from the housing, the more proficient you become and the less of a chore it is. You really have to trust your housing each and every time you dive with it, whether you carry a backup or not. A pooched camera still costs a lot of money even if you have a backup.

     

    If you have a different camera model for topside and one for underwater than you are still diving with only one camera and housing (excluding some rare instances like Tom's two cameras) and no backup for underwater photography.

     

    One other area you haven't touched on is supplemental lighting for underwater. Not all camera bodies use the same electronic flash algorithms. Do you intend to carry two sets of dual strobes because of compatibility issues between the different camera models. Just as an example, the number of preflashes can vary between the different models of a manufacturers camera line. Add an extra flash or two for topside use and you could be traveling with as much as six strobe units!

     

    Most, if not all, traveling photographers are looking to reduce their equipment loading and are trying to do more with less. I realize some people might take issue with that as a broad generalization, but if you ask around, you will find most photographers drifting in this direction.

     

    As far as the brainstorming is concerned, you may want to think of what your final use for your photographic images will be and work back from there by eliminating all the options that aren't needed to produce your final image. For instance, if your final intentions are to make wall size posters, then does it follow that video is a good idea, or would it be better to invest in a camera body with more megapixels and forget about the video options? Only you will know the answers.

  4. I travel with 2 bodies that will fit in the same housing, presently a D2X and a D2H. So far the D2H has not had to fulfill the backup role while on the road. :wacko:

    Tom

     

    Thanks Tom. That set up would surely satisfy my quest.

     

    However, I still have a D2x and sold my D200 and got a D700. Hard to match up a housing with the fast changing new stuff popping up every year or two. These housing are very expensive, but I am really surpise they are not more so with the small runs and near complete redesign with the introduction of each new body.

     

     

    Perhaps a better travel system would be the D90 x 2, less expensive, very lightweight compared to the D700 and D300 and then only one system on the road.

  5. Poliwog,

     

    <<Two different formats (DX and FX) with a different set of lens for each. Wow.>>

     

    Certainly not my intention.

     

    <<Are you planning to travel?>>

     

    I mentioned I planned on going Full Frame and purchased the 1st FF prior to going to Antarctica last year. I feel the images from that system are so much better than the DX images. I dealt with the weight issues traveling through Buenos Aires! Then traveling to NZ and OZ I took only the D300 and DX lenses.

     

    <<If so, remember the airlines are very strict on weight allowances these days. You may have to pay dearly for the luxury of having two camera formats and lenses to go with each format.>>

     

    Yup, got that T-shirt!

     

    <<If you use a third party camera strap that has carbiner-like clips at the strap ends then it means its' only a snap or two for the camera strap to be on or off the camera. I leave the eye piece and LCD screen protector in place when I put the camera in the housing. >>

     

    I thought I had seen something like that in the past ... but could not find what I wanted at B&H. I was thinking the large metal or plastic clips may get in the way of the shutter or rear control knob. After surfing the Net for a couple of days, I found the OP/TECH Uni-loop system. Small unobtrusive loop with a quick disconnect. It also matches up with their Gotcha Wrist Strap.

     

    I don't know anything about this stuff, but seems that carrying around a several thousand dollar rig may justify a back-up handle, as in a leash? Thoughts?

     

    Incidently, I do have to take off the eye piece and LCD cover on my rig. I tired, but not enough clearance ...

     

    <<Some how the effort involved in removing those three items every time I want to put my camera into its' housing, doesn't seem so laborious that I want to throw copious amounts of money into a second camera system to alleviate the pain.>>

     

    I don't really want to carry the second format, yet after all that travel last year, preparing for Tonga and Fiji and buying the U/W rig ... I just can't get another body right now. Luckily, as yet I will not be traveling with dive gear. I sold mine 10 yrs ago and haven't gotten "wet" since. What was I thinking?

     

    <<The more times you put your camera into its' housing and remove the camera from the housing, the more proficient you become and the less of a chore it is. You really have to trust your housing each and every time you dive with it, whether you carry a backup or not. A pooched camera still costs a lot of money even if you have a backup.

     

    If you have a different camera model for topside and one for underwater than you are still diving with only one camera and housing (excluding some rare instances like Tom's two cameras) and no backup for underwater photography.>>

     

    I get all that, but do you or other's actually travel with a single body? I'd hate to have my housing flood and have no way to take a single photo top side! I am also trying to figure out how to test the housing. It passed the "Tub Test", The "Pool Test", and tomorrow I will swim with the camera in the housing to get aquainted with shooting U/W. I do not know how to test the housing before I leave. Was contemplating putting the empty housing on the end of a rope and sending it down 100 ft. Of course, that would not allow me to work the buttons. I may do that, and if it passes at least I can do the surface stuff in Tonga then not take a camera on the first dive in Fiji.

     

    Wow this is getting long winded ...

     

    <<One other area you haven't touched on is supplemental lighting for underwater. Not all camera bodies use the same electronic flash algorithms. Do you intend to carry two sets of dual strobes because of compatibility issues between the different camera models. Just as an example, the number of preflashes can vary between the different models of a manufacturers camera line. Add an extra flash or two for topside use and you could be traveling with as much as six strobe units! >>

     

    Good info. Along those lines, I did not spend the >$2500 on strobes. You cannot use strobes while shooting the humpies, so I am OK there. I'm just gonna have to slum it with non-TTL and manual set up using a single SB-105 which I already own.

     

    <<Most, if not all, traveling photographers are looking to reduce their equipment loading and are trying to do more with less. I realize some people might take issue with that as a broad generalization, but if you ask around, you will find most photographers drifting in this direction.>>

     

    Absolutely!

     

    <<As far as the brainstorming is concerned, you may want to think of what your final use for your photographic images will be and work back from there by eliminating all the options that aren't needed to produce your final image. For instance, if your final intentions are to make wall size posters, then does it follow that video is a good idea, or would it be better to invest in a camera body with more megapixels and forget about the video options? Only you will know the answers.>>

     

    Since you pose what has been hurting my head ...

     

    I am a still Photog, I doubt I would ever (at least now), shoot video professionally. I would simply think it would be great to have that option, even with minimal quality, to share whales swimming, bears jostling, fish jumping, etc with friends and family.

     

    I think if this works out as I hope ... I'll eventually end up going the FF route. Hopefully, the next prosumer grade FF Nikon offering, will have more MP's and video too.

     

    For now, I am down to the wire and either have to take the extra body, a FF D700 and an extra lens, minimally a 28-105 to go with the 70-300 for surface shots, or bring my D2X, which'll mean the charger, batteries and such.

     

    It will be interesting to see how much I can downsize from my "previous travel gear", to the latest with the HUGE housing and Monster Dome. One thing's for sure ... you guys are very helpful.

     

    Thanks,

  6. Thanks Tom. That set up would surely satisfy my quest.

     

    However, I still have a D2x and sold my D200 and got a D700. Hard to match up a housing with the fast changing new stuff popping up every year or two. These housing are very expensive, but I am really surpise they are not more so with the small runs and near complete redesign with the introduction of each new body.

     

     

    Perhaps a better travel system would be the D90 x 2, less expensive, very lightweight compared to the D700 and D300 and then only one system on the road.

     

    Since you have the D300 it would be better to stick with it rather than emulate what I have. I was merely presenting my setup, which is somewhat dated because I bought a few years ago :wacko: , as an example. I am not one to update each year! You may be able to pick up a 2nd D300 for a bargain now that the D300s is out giving you a back-up as well as topside bod. A cool aspect of having 2 similar bodies is that they share battery and charger model enabling more back-up possibilities. :(

    T

  7. Since you have the D300 it would be better to stick with it rather than emulate what I have. I was merely presenting my setup, which is somewhat dated because I bought a few years ago :wacko: , as an example. I am not one to update each year! You may be able to pick up a 2nd D300 for a bargain now that the D300s is out giving you a back-up as well as topside bod. A cool aspect of having 2 similar bodies is that they share battery and charger model enabling more back-up possibilities. :(

    T

     

    Yeah, I have a D2X too, was gonna sell it 3+ yrs ago when I could still get $4000 ... silly me. They get dated fast.

     

    As far as sharing ... The D700 shares most goodies with the D300. YOu are right, the best short term and least expensive answer would be to get another D300. This choice would not satisfy my "future goals", but truthfully, I do think the DX systems with lighter lenses may make a better travel system.

     

    Thanks for your input.

  8. when i'm shooting humpbacks, i keep my UW rig ready to go and have a topside camera with a 70-200mm dedicated for surface stuff. i'd take the D700 and 70-300mm for sure to be ready for any surface ops. how much topside shooting you'll do vs diving time/D300-in-housing beyond whales shoudl dictate your topside lenses. id say bring the 20-35 + 28-105 for a dedicated topside kit if you're shooting quite a bit.

     

    the 20-35mm (if its the nikon f/2.8) is the predecessor to the 17-35mm and the best glass you've listed (we all know glass is more important than camera), on a D700 its stellar kit i wouldn't wanna leave at home. i have heard teh 28-105 isn't great..... the 18-200 is the perfect DX walk around lens and excellent optics for its range, but maybe leave it home and just use the d700 topside. bust out the D300 + 70-300 for any wildlife ops like birds.

     

    forget about the D2X, the size/weight of that, batteries & charger is prob the same as the D700 + a lens and its an older/weaker camera. op/tech loop straps are great btw and easy on/off.

  9. i consider a pair of bodies essential given the time and money invested in a significant dive trip with similar paranoia about lenses, chargers, cables, strobes, hard drives, etc. and this ought to be enough - one body lives in the housing and the second is stored in some safe and handy place with lens ready for dolphins, whatever - and is ready to be pressed into service if something happens to the dive body.

     

    however, i like to combine some topside travel with the dive trip and end up carrying a 3rd ff body for serious topside photography

  10. i consider a pair of bodies essential given the time and money invested in a significant dive trip with similar paranoia about lenses, chargers, cables, strobes, hard drives, etc. and this ought to be enough - one body lives in the housing and the second is stored in some safe and handy place with lens ready for dolphins, whatever - and is ready to be pressed into service if something happens to the dive body.

     

    however, i like to combine some topside travel with the dive trip and end up carrying a 3rd ff body for serious topside photography

     

     

    Stever & Undertow.

     

    As it turns out, I am borrowing a friends D300 (I promised for surface use only), so I'll at least only carry the DX lenses. A 10-17, 12-24, 18-200 and a 70-300. One in the housing and one for surface shots, prolly the 18-200 mostly. My friend will keep the D700, and Pro glass for collateral.

     

    I am fortunate to be joining a small group, 4 snorkelers in the water and 1 in the boat doing surface shots. We will rotate so I should be able to do both above and below quite readily.

     

    Yes, the optics and images from that D700, and 20-35 f/2.8 will be stelar, but I really want redundancy, at this point. Once I get a better feel for this U/W stuff, I may add another FF camera and lenses, but for now, I am trying to travel with a much heavier carry-on as in, with the housing.

     

    Thanks to all for your help.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.