I have seen there are now quite a few Canon users on the forum. I am in the process of moving to the Canon system.
With Canon USM each lens has an AF-MF switch. This switch can be left in th AF position and manual overide is done with the focus ring. This is different than the Nikon 105 for example. Which has a ring switch that must be thrown from AF-MF.
This would seem to be an advantage for Canon. Can Ring USM len's be left in AF mode with a focus gear engaged? Does the switch have to be used? I have not seen how AF-MF will be switched in Canon housings. In Nikon housings a number of elaborate AF-MF switching arrangements have been implemented by various housing manufacturers.
Not all Canon len's are ring USM though. Some like the Canon 50 Macro 2.5 will not allow adjustment on the fly but require throwing a switch on the lens. I know that AF would not be important on a 50 macro. It is nice to be able to move from MF-AF for fish portraits on the same dive though. What do you Canon users do?