Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nexus recently changed port size for newer housings

Started by Mary Malloy ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Nexus recently changed port size for newer housings

8 posts
  1. If I do one more Nexus upgrade my M5 ports won't fit the newer housings. Has anyone made the leap with the M5 to M6 adapter, and are they discovering any problems both with flat or dome ports?

     

    How does it connect? Is it just a screw thread like a spacer?

     

    Will it affect dome port distances/spacings?

     

    Thanks

    Mary

  2. I have the M6 housing for the D90. One characteristic, the M6 port+extension for the 105micro I have is postively bouyant. The front of the housing wants to lift. This is not true with the 1017 port. You also get enough opening that the focus aid light shines through the M60 port, I can see it in the viewfinder on closeups.

    But I cannot answer your questions directly as this is my only Nexus experience.

    The vendor I was working with was recommending M5 flat port + conversion for certain close up lens setups but I did not go that way based on my lens selections. If they are recommending it, it would seem to work. You might email Ryan at Reef photo with that question.

  3. My Nexus D300 housing shipped with a M6 to M5 adapter ring. All the M5 ports & ext rings from my D70 setup work fine on the D300 + adapter. It just screws on. Nothing changes. Once on it can be hard to remove. Special spanner wrench may be required. Mine's on tight & I haven't removed it since I got the new housing. The only thing I'm aware of is that the FP170 port will not mount on the adapter ring. Due to adapter design, the 170 base o-ring will not contact a mating surface. Since I always use an extension ring with this port, its not an issue.

    Edited by jcclink
  4. Thanks everyone, I have now read the 230mm won't fit as well.

     

    I have the 170 and 230, doh

     

    Mary

  5. Mary - you probably use extension rings with some of your lenses, so your domes will work with those. Even a 10mm ring with solve the 170/230 fit problem. I tried that with the 10-17/FP170. Port fit fine but optics not good.

    Edited by jcclink
  6. Mary - you probably use extension rings with some of your lenses, so your domes will work with those. Even a 10mm ring with solve the 170/230 fit problem. I tried that with the 10-17/FP170. Port fit fine but optics not good.

     

     

    Yes, that is my concern as well, that it will mess up the optics. The smallest extension I have is 15mm

     

    Mary

  7. I forgot to mention a minor detail in last post. I found that a 20mm ext ring actually works best with the 170 port & 10-17 lens. Sorry about that. But I understand your concern. The port/ext ring combination needs to remain the same, whichever housing you're using. The adapter doesn't effect this.

    Edited by jcclink
  8. Thanks Jim,

     

    I also have the 20mm extension but it vignettes with my 160mm's shade.

    It looks like I have some options: re your 170mm 20mm suggestion.

     

    The info about adapter not affecting port/extension combination is great news. Never having seen an adapter I have no understanding of the mechanics of it all.

     

    Your info has been very valuable for me.

     

    Mary

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.