Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Day Trip Housing Protection

Started by WanderingBob ·

  • 17Posts
  • 17Replies

Read-only discussion

Day Trip Housing Protection

17 posts
  1. I am wondering how you carry your photo rig on a moving boat with many people and lots of gear all over the place. On the Flood Sensor Post, I would think putting a housing in a container may have avoided the towel?

     

    Anyway, it was suggested I bring a plastic tub/storage container with me in my checked bag. Any suggestions on how this can be accomplished and still protect your rig?

     

    I was looking at the the Smaller Rubbermaid Action Packer. Unlike the larger versions, it is single walled, but would still do a pretty good job of protecting a housing and still prolly carry your mask, snorkel, strobes and arms.

     

    Any ideas or suggestions?

     

    Again, thanks.

  2. I use backpack cooler. :-)

  3. Hey Bob

     

    Have a look around previous posts using the Search feature. This issue crops up every couple of months: Coolbags, plastic boxes... you name it, folks have suggested it.....

    One enterprising US coolbag maker even offered Wetpixelers a discount for ordering his heavy duty cool bags. I bought one!

     

    :wacko:

  4. Hi Bob

    Usually dive boats have limited space on them so using a hard sided plastic container can be a problem because of space limitations. I do transport mine in the car using a hard plastic container, but then put it in a soft sided cooler to bring it on the boat. When not in use the soft sided cooler can be stuffed away in a corner.

  5. Hey Bob

     

    Have a look around previous posts using the Search feature. This issue crops up every couple of months: Coolbags, plastic boxes... you name it, folks have suggested it.....

    One enterprising US coolbag maker even offered Wetpixelers a discount for ordering his heavy duty cool bags. I bought one!

    :wacko:

     

    Tim,

     

    Do you recall the manufacturer? Did it work well for you?

     

    I am wearing out the search engine here, but not doing too well on this one! Thanks for the advice though.

  6. Hey Bob

    I actually use a regular food type soft sided cooler that I believe I got at Walmart, but those backpacks look interesting. I believe the coolers Tim is talking about are from American Outdoors. www.aocoolers.com

    Mike

  7. Hey Bob

    I actually use a regular food type soft sided cooler that I believe I got at Walmart, but those backpacks look interesting. I believe the coolers Tim is talking about are from American Outdoors. www.aocoolers.com

    Mike

     

    Beach Bum,

     

    Interesting, AO has a backpack one too. But, again I am looking at a picture and not putting my rig in a cooler or bag ... I wrote to them and we'll see what they say.

     

    Thanks

  8. I use the 48 Pack Polar Bear Cooler @ polarbearcooler.com. Large enough to put your complete rig in, can be used as a "rinse tank", and doubles as beer cooler!~

  9. Go to KMart/WallMart/Etc and get the big soft sided beer cooler with 2 wheels on it.

    Inexpensive and does the job!

  10. Hey Bob

    I actually use a regular food type soft sided cooler that I believe I got at Walmart, but those backpacks look interesting. I believe the coolers Tim is talking about are from American Outdoors. www.aocoolers.com

    Mike

     

     

    Yeah, sorry, I don't have it here with me in Lembeh. We use laundry baskets here for carrying and I don't need my cooler. But it was a post on Wetpixel about 18 months ago that led me to it. It's just a seriously sturdy soft cool bag, was available to order in lots of colours and sizes and the price included having your name embroided on it. It's very good quality and I think about US$75 for one which would take my housing fitted with the strobes and arms - and still had room for a twinset, a family of 4 and a Hummer.

     

    I bet $1 the company owner is reading this and will post... he was very switched on!

    Edited by TimG
  11. I use a "frost-pak soft cooler' (nomenclature right off the bag, however, it is all caps there) made by Seattle Sports. I bought it at the Army-Navy Store on 4th Ave, Anchorage a few years ago. It will fit under a boat seat with a little encouragement. No problem containing a D2 Seacam housing and strobes on arms (folded). It is yellow so easy to spot and write one's name on. It has survived several trips already unlike the one I got from an UW photo store that leaked water into the insulation on its first trip. Actual dive gear goes into mesh bags. Since this gear gets set up on tanks, the empty bags take up almost no space on a day boat. The DM's really appreciate this (makes up a bit for the big camera!). I usually also take a small daypack as well - must fit in the foc'sle found one some day boats with other dry gear.

    T :wacko:

  12. I use the cheapest soft cooler available, but it is starting to go now. On RIBS, I used a rigid box (branded: useful box). If you can find a good spot for it, it doesnt have to be in the way too much. I am not sure how to get that on a plane though (were there by car)

  13. Go to KMart/WallMart/Etc and get the big soft sided beer cooler with 2 wheels on it.

    Inexpensive and does the job!

     

    Thanks Okuma,

     

    Only about a 6 hr round trip endeavor, but I can check them ou on the way outta town.

  14. I use a "frost-pak soft cooler' (nomenclature right off the bag, however, it is all caps there) made by Seattle Sports. I bought it at the Army-Navy Store on 4th Ave, Anchorage a few years ago. It will fit under a boat seat with a little encouragement. No problem containing a D2 Seacam housing and strobes on arms (folded). It is yellow so easy to spot and write one's name on. It has survived several trips already unlike the one I got from an UW photo store that leaked water into the insulation on its first trip. Actual dive gear goes into mesh bags. Since this gear gets set up on tanks, the empty bags take up almost no space on a day boat. The DM's really appreciate this (makes up a bit for the big camera!). I usually also take a small daypack as well - must fit in the foc'sle found one some day boats with other dry gear.

    T :wacko:

     

    <<It has survived several trips already unlike the one I got from an UW photo store that leaked water into the insulation on its first trip.>>

     

    This is a big concern of mine. There are some fairly rough, almost sharp edges on my rig.

  15. Here is one thread on it

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...335&hl=esky

     

    Here is a link to AOcoolers, fishing style. I am considering going that route.

     

    AOcooler

     

    Former threads indicate the 48 can is the size to get.

     

    Some people use Esky...you could google that as well.

     

    Thanks. Some good info on that thread, with links to others!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.