I've jumped on the Coolpix 5000 bandwagon and will soon purchase memory and extra batteries. I've researched these topics and now would appreciate real-world feedback on what I've learned.
Memory: Compact Flash memory comes in a variey of capacities and write speeds. According to literature that I've read a 512 mb card will hold about 200 images at the highest (non RAW) resolution of the camera. Also, according to Nikon tech support, anything faster than a 16x card will not perform faster due to the throughput limitations of the camera itself. I've compared Lexar and Sandisk media and Lexar reports the fastest write rates (up to 40x = 6.0 mb/sec) with 16x being equivalent to about 2.4 mb/sec. Sandisk claims their new Ultra Compact flash card has throughput of 2.4 mb/sec and their standard cards are rated at about 1/2 that speed. I'm leaning towards the purchase of two 512 mb Lexar cards. That will be more expensive than one 1 mb card, but will provide redundancy and each has sufficient capacity for more than a battery's worth of power.
Is it true that I'm wasting money on anything faster than 16x? Any other considerations that I'm missing?
Batteries: The standard battery, the Nikon EN-EL1 is rated at 7.4v 650 mAh. I've been told that is sufficient power to take about 100 images at the highest (non RAW) resolution with the LCD screen on (as it would be in a housing).
Are their any other more powerful alternatives?Is this an accurate estimate of duration?
I hope this information has been helpful. Many thanks for your feedback.