Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sea & Sea DX 2G

Started by wommby ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea & Sea DX 2G

10 posts
  1. Have recently purchased the DX 2G and want to know if you need to black out the internal flash when using an external strobe? If so what do you use to do this. I used to own an Olympus 5060 which I had to do this with and want to know if you need to do it with the Sea & Sea DX 2G.

     

    Thanks for any feedback.

    Debbie

  2. I would put the diffuser up so it reduces the amount of the internal flash if using a strobe.

     

    Have recently purchased the DX 2G and want to know if you need to black out the internal flash when using an external strobe? If so what do you use to do this. I used to own an Olympus 5060 which I had to do this with and want to know if you need to do it with the Sea & Sea DX 2G.

     

    Thanks for any feedback.

    Debbie

  3. I would put the diffuser up so it reduces the amount of the internal flash if using a strobe.

     

     

    That wasn't enough for my DX 1G. In order to avoid back scatter, I had to construct a big extra blocker of gaffer tape and tin foil. Seems like the whole top of the housing ligts up by the flash.

     

     

    /O

  4. Sell that piece of crap and get a Nexus!! :);)

  5. Don't tempt me too much. If I ever feel I am getting better with my photos or even photoshop I just might.

    Deb

  6. Don't tempt me too much. If I ever feel I am getting better with my photos or even photoshop I just might.

    Deb

     

    Wommby

    what do you not like about the 2G? all reviews for the camera suggest its good. is the uw performance not up to the land reviews? curious your thoughts as i was thinking of getting it.

    many thanks for your impressions

     

    Jason

  7. Have recently purchased the DX 2G and want to know if you need to black out the internal flash when using an external strobe? If so what do you use to do this. I used to own an Olympus 5060 which I had to do this with and want to know if you need to do it with the Sea & Sea DX 2G.

    Thanks for any feedback.

    Debbie

     

    Using the housing's diffuser should fix any concerns.........

     

     

    That wasn't enough for my DX 1G. In order to avoid back scatter, I had to construct a big extra blocker of gaffer tape and tin foil. Seems like the whole top of the housing ligts up by the flash.

    /O

     

    I have used the 1G & 2G and have never had this issue. I can't imagine an on board flash that is blocked inside of the housing giving off enough light to cause backscatter in a photo.

     

    If this is an issue have you tried changing the flash to "soft"...... I would be intrerested in hearing more about your expierience with this.

     

    Wommby

    what do you not like about the 2G? all reviews for the camera suggest its good. is the uw performance not up to the land reviews? curious your thoughts as i was thinking of getting it.

    many thanks for your impressions

    Jason

     

    The 2G is a great P&S kit (compared to like models and price range), totally capable of taking great U/W photos. I believe the post above was more about the fantastic quality of Nexus housings than a shot at any of the Sea & Sea products....... but who knows, I could be wrong. :(

    Edited by devildiver
  8. My experience is only with the 1G. I really like my setup wich includes a WA-lens that is always on, and a 110 flash. What I would like to imrove on in my photgraphy is

    1. snap to snap time when taking RAW shots. (really important to me)

    2. bigger screen

    3. A little more responsiveness (low light AF and flash snapp & recycle time)

    4. A little more sensitivity (still at low S/N ratio)

     

    I believe that 2G delivers on 1 and 2, and maybe 3, which would have made me buying this camera if I was getting one today. (However, my next step will probably be DSLR)

     

     

    Using the housing's diffuser should fix any concerns.........

     

    I have used the 1G & 2G and have never had this issue. I can't imagine an on board flash that is blocked inside of the housing giving off enough light to cause backscatter in a photo.

     

    If this is an issue have you tried changing the flash to "soft"...... I would be intrerested in hearing more about your expierience with this.

     

    No, this is definitely an issue for me, but I am talking about *very* silty conditions. Diffuser just diffuses, still backscatter. Also, there has been issues with YS110 trigger, so the blocking of of light should not in any way dampen the pulse for the fibre optics. The WA lens blocks of some of the flash, but is also very wide so that it "sees" the back-scatter just in front of the camera.

     

    I'm not sure what soft is supposed to do. Lately i only used flash in M mode, but "TTL" worked quite well too.

     

    Cheers

  9. I'm debating whether to buy the DX-1G fro $650 or the newer 2G for $1000. I'm upgrading from an Intoval (completely unhappy with it).

    My questions: Is the 2G worth the extra money?

    How would the 1G/2G perform without an external flash? (although I have a small flash from my Intova set)

    There's also an opportunity to buy a used 1G with wide angle lens. What do you think?

     

    Thanks

    Rafi

  10. I would love to see some photos taken with the 2g.

     

    Is the autofocus lag any better or worse than the canon g10?

     

    thanks

    Don

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.