Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Repetitive strain injury

Started by Damo ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Repetitive strain injury

6 posts
  1. Hi folks,

     

    Just wondering does anyone here suffer from repetitive strain injury when handling an underwater camera rig??

    I think I have started to develope this in the right hand and elbow as a result of lugging around my rig with its wide angle lens attached-trying to protect it from getting stood on in dive boats etc.

    If anyone says yes to my query- then could you tell me how you addressed it?

    I know u can add positively bouyant material to the housing but- juts curious as to how folks actually do this???

     

    So many questions- but again-just curious.

     

    Dam

  2. I used to have a lot of RSI like problems. Not from using it above water, but from it being negative under water. I made my housing pretty much neutral by adding buoyancy arms. My pain instantly disappeared. Nowadays id say at least half the people I dive with on liveaboards use some form of buoyancy compensation. There are many ways to do this, i can recommend using the Stix arms: http://stores.4gdphoto.com/StoreFront.bok

  3. I've had surgery for Carpal Tunnel. I don't blame it on my housing. I attribute it to work. Doesn't seem to be made worse by diving.

     

    I do use bouncy on my strobe arms though. I use the Stix floats. I also try to lighten up my dive gear and rig as much as possible.

  4. Hi Damo

    I use two Aquatica Floats on my housing, they each give .5 kg of buoyancy. I also use the stix floats, one on each strobe.

    Mike

  5. Hey Damo,

    Another vote for using the Stix foam. I struggled with positioning my macro setup. Almost impossible to hold it steady for more than 10 minutes. My wrists would get tired and the rig would tip over forward. Ryan hooked me up with a Stix float collar and it changed everything. I also added arm floats to my short macro arms. Fingertip housing control now, huge difference.

    Steve

  6. I use Inon mega float now, it generate almost 14 oz float each.

    http://www.inon.co.jp/e_pdf/FloatArm_En.pdf

    It is fun !

     

    I just realize from yesterday, a lot of the weight was put in by the Hartenberger nano focus light. I may have to switch to the Fisheye in the future. I was testing the set up in bath tub the other day w/ the 60mm & a pair of the mega and it float. But when I dove, it became neutral or very slighly negative. So last night I drop the whole thing in the bath tub w/ the nano attached and it sink !

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.