Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tech help:

Started by dgn ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Tech help:

3 posts
  1. Hi,

    I have a question about the Nikonos 3-pin connectors. Is there any standard trigger voltage for flashes using this connector and what is the 3 different pins ie which one is ground etc? From the connector it's a cable to another connector with 2 pins one longer than the other, it would be nice to know what these pins are. I try to draw a picture below :)

      
                    Nikonos 3-pin
    
                       \__/             Cable                      Second connector
              Pin1   O     O Pin 2   ---------------------  ----------  Pin 4 
                                                            ----        Pin 5
                  Pin3  O 
    

    I need to know this because I will troubleshoot a friends old YS-200.

     

    Thanks!

    Niclas

  2. Hello Dgn,

     

    Pin 1 is for blub sync.

     

    Pin 2 is X sync.

     

    Pin 3 is ground.

     

    Trigger voltages are specific to flashes and not cameras sold at that time. Many flashes used 250-330 volts at the pins that would fire the trigger transformer. Those old flashes would "Fry" the contacts on any newer camera that only uses around 5volts at the contacts, so don't let your friend put an old flash on a new camera.

     

    Good luck and don't shock yourself- speaking from experience.

     

    Barry Guimbellot

    MarineLife Keywords

  3. Thanks! I manage to fix it. It was only an old broken cable, now its re-soldered and up and running!

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.