Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

The 12-24mm lens came!

Started by jimbo1946 ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

The 12-24mm lens came!

16 posts
  1. The Nikon 12-24mm zoom lens was delivered yesterday. Thanks for the tip about ordering from Competitive Cameras in Dallas.

     

    It's a super lens, and I can't wait to use it in Fiji in November.

     

    user posted image

  2. It must be good to cope with that kind of abuse Jim :lol::):)

  3. A poster child for why wide angle lenses are not used for portraiture.

  4. Well, I could probably get help, but would life be as much fun then?

  5. As Rand mentioned in my lighthouse pic, it's a great illustration of thirds rule!

  6. As Rand mentioned in my lighthouse pic, it's a great illustration of thirds rule!

    Well, that's the closest thing to a compliment that I've had all week!

  7. Thank goodness I spelt it correctly :lol:

  8. Geez, I wish Canon had a lens in this range :lol:

  9. Hopefully Canon will have one of these "EF-S" lenses in that range. We can only hope, right?

     

    It looks to me like they're sticking to their 1.6x crop sensors for a while, so they'd better come up with something.

     

    Cheers

    James

  10. I doubt that Canon is planning great glass in the EF lineup. Looks more like a budget line-up to accompany the Rebel.

     

    Interesting that Nikon is/will make a fortune on people like us willing to pay a premium for lenses that are cheaper to build.

     

    My 12-24 is 1/3 the weight of my 17-35! I know some appreciate the light weight, but it feels like a cheaper build. Excellent performance, though

  11. My 12-24 is 1/3 the weight of my 17-35! I know some appreciate the light weight, but it feels like a cheaper build. Excellent performance, though

    It seems a lot smaller, but it weighs 1.1 pounds vs. 1.66 pounds for the 17-35 (according to B&H). About 2/3 the weight and 2/3 the price.

  12. Great news, Jimbo,

     

    Look forward to seeing some equally dramatic UW pix soon.

  13. Thanks, Alex. Unfortunately, the next dive trip is not until late November to Fiji (a return trip to Wananavu Resort and Crystal Divers on the north coast of Viti Levu). The wife/dive buddy and I are going to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks later this month, so I'll give the lens a good workout on WA scenics.

     

    But I'm really looking forward to using the lens underwater. My passion is macro/close-up, but I HAVE to get some WA photos of those gorgeous walls covered with soft corals.

     

    I would be in the pool right now playing with the new toy, but I have to get the right extension ring first.

     

    But I'm ready to get wet!

  14. Hopefully Canon will have one of these "EF-S" lenses in that range. We can only hope, right?

    actually. this wouldn't help much since an EF-S lens would only fit the new digital rebel. it would be great if they came out with one in the traditional EF line.

     

    Marty

  15. I called Competitive camera last Fri and Tues a 12-24 arrived at my door. 995$ plus shipping. Definitely good people to work with. No one here in town (Santa Barbara CA) claims to have seen the lens.

  16. I called Competitive camera last Fri and Tues a 12-24 arrived at my door.  995$ plus shipping. Definitely good people to work with.

    I had the same experience with Competitive Cameras on the 12-24mm. I'll definitely be doing more business with them in the future!

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.