Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Cousteau did it RIGHT

Started by Drewski ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Cousteau did it RIGHT

9 posts
  1. I'm always looking for restored Cousteau films on the Internet because I so love his work. Came across this the other day:

     

     

    I thought he was using 16 mm film for most of his stuff in the 1950s, but MAN that's NICE for 16 mm. Loved the dramatic approach shot to the bottom - all one clip! Keep in mind, no BC, triple steel tanks, small fins and no steady cam.

     

    Andy

  2. I thought he was using 16 mm film for most of his stuff in the 1950s, but MAN that's NICE for 16 mm. Loved the dramatic approach shot to the bottom - all one clip! Keep in mind, no BC, triple steel tanks, small fins and no steady cam.

     

    And no wet suit either :) Very cool. I used to watch every one of his specials when they were on tv when I was a kid.

  3. Silent World wouldn't wear well in today's environmentally active times, especially with its fish killing sequences.

     

    Also the overly dramatic tone would bring laughs at all the wrong places.

     

    That's probably why it hasn't been re-released.

     

    It was a classic of its time, but (aside from the opening scene) wouldn't make the cut at any film exhibition today.

  4. Yeah, today's audiences would be uncomfortable with some parts, especially the scene where the Calypso runs over two sperm whales and then, after the sharks go to town on the dead calf, the crew catches and kills some of the sharks. "Splendid savages of the seas," they were called.

  5. Drewski,

    Good find,what you have is the american version of the Silent World,the narrator 1:58 is James Dugan(1912-1967) who did the script and as J.Y.Cousteau's writer and american rep. also did the book by the same name, the film was shoot in 35mm in underwater housings by Andre Laban and are shown being loaded in the film, Cousteau gave much of the credit of the film to Louis Malle (1932-1995)who at the time was a film student who left school to assist J.Y.Cousteau 1954-1955 aboard Calypso. The film won the Palme d'Or at the 1956 Cannes Festival and an Academy Award for the best Documentry in 1957, Louis Malle of course went on to become a world class French Film Director.

     

    The equiptment the divers are using was considered state of the art in the early 1950's France, I bet the guys kicking their ass's off holding those lights at 165' on air would have used a BC is it had been invented.

    Edited by FLAFROG
  6. Also the overly dramatic tone would bring laughs at all the wrong places. That's probably why it hasn't been re-released. It was a classic of its time, but (aside from the opening scene) wouldn't make the cut at any film exhibition today.

    Oh, I disagree with that. Environmental fish killing stuff aside, I really HATE the "fake" drama of today's media. I live with in walking distance of Discovery Communications World HQ and you just don't know how many times I would like to stop by and tell them to cut out all the "our BRAVE divers, tempting death, diving with known man-eating sharks" CRAP. Are audiences so SHALLOW that they need stuff like that to hold interest, or are the media producers self-fulfilling by using what they THINK will sell?

     

    In my opinion, the beauty of Cousteau's work was that he often let the diving and the ocean speak for itself. The environmental setting was dramatic, NOT the stupid story. You'd never hear something like "at any second the Calypso could be crushed by tons of Arctic ice if we don't get the engine fixed." Sure, sure, back then nobody dived so all of it was fascinating and probably an easier sell, but I'm telling you Cousteau can translate to today just as easy.

     

    To prove this, I did the "10 year old test." My kid nephew, 10 years old, PS3, airsoft and skateboard junky. He'd watch 10 channels at once if a TV had them. Bored out of his skull in 5 minutes. I have an old VHS tape of the "Undersea World of JC" with the Truk (Chuk, LOL) Lagoon expedition. Scratchy as hell, poor audio, but JC's voice is REALLY clear. Popped it in the player, tuned it on and left the room with him playing PSP and working on the computer in the same room. 15 minutes later the house is stone quiet and I can hear JC's voice on the second floor "...the Calypso diveers feeel thee nummbing greep of naarcosis deeep witheen these forgotteen releecs of humaaan traagedy..."

     

    Thinking I drove my nephew from the house, I go down to shut off the VCR. But, there he is, slack jawed in front of the TV, frozen and staring at the screen. I had to say his name twice before he snapped out of it and then he wouldn't leave me alone, asking all sorts of questions about diving and "that funny talking old guy."

     

    I think the biggest disappointment about all of the Cousteau stuff is how both sides of his family (legitimate and illegitimate) have SQUANDERED his legacy and robbed the world of a valuable resource. They argue back and forth about the rights to this and that while the years pass and nothing happens. Re-creating his journeys and re-mastering his old work along with placing it beside new work at the same locations and on the same dives could REALLY demonstrate environmental impact and change if done right. I guess it's a French thing I wouldn't understand... SIGH

     

    Anyway, FLAFROG, cool, 35 mm? I didn't know that! That explains the film quality. I thought the color depth of that film was fantastic in the opening sequence given it was natural light.

     

    Anyway, SORRY to ramble...

     

    Andy

  7. I totally agree re:discovery channel crap.

     

    But I still maintain Silent World today is a period piece, interesting in a historical context, but not comparable to what many amateur videographers can do today given the progress in access and technical advancements.

     

    Remember when anybody who shot footage of a great white or a whale shark or a sperm whale was hero?

     

    As for Cousteau, like most human beings he did some great things and some things he would probably want forgotten.

  8. Remember that Peter Benchly, before he passed on, said in several interviews that he always regretted the fear furor that he created after the Jaws movie was produced. The same would surely apply to Cousteau if he had the chance to view his old work.

    Steve

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.