Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

mixed bag (Belize & Indo-Pacific)

Started by FlyingKiwi ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

mixed bag (Belize & Indo-Pacific)

7 posts
  1. folks,

     

    Got a mixed bag of critters I haven't been able to track down. Any help, even family name, would be appreciated.

     

    (1) I looked through Debelius a couple of times but amazingly I couldn't place this lobster from Belize, I know it must be in there:

     

    002.jpg

     

     

    (2) Moray from Phuket, not much to go on unfortunately. If you can name the shrimp then that would be a huge bonus too!

     

    015.jpg

     

     

    (3) I always find giant clams hard to pin down to species, this one is from the Perhentian Islands off Malaysia:

     

    065.jpg

     

     

    (4) Cuttlefish, Anilao, Philippines:

     

    071.jpg

     

     

    (5) Squid, Lembeh Strait, Indonesia:

     

    077.jpg

     

     

    (6) Unfortunate four-armed sea star, Phuket:

     

    084.jpg

     

     

    (7) crinoid, Phuket:

     

    099.jpg

     

     

    If it would help to have any of these in a larger size then let me know and I'll upload it.

     

    TIA,

     

    Richard.

  2. Hi Richard,

    I'll help with the easy one. Caribbean Spiny Lobster, Panulirus argus

     

     

    Steve

  3. Moray looks like a (small) giant moray (Gymnothorax javanicus) with a clear cleaner shrimp (Urocaridella antonbruunii).

     

    Clam may be a giant squamose clam (Tridacna squamosa) but I'm not sure.

     

    Cuttlefish may be broadclub cuttlefish (Sepia latimanus) but I'm not sure.

     

    I hardly dare try the squid after last time but I would probably put it under Sepioteuthis lessoniana.

     

    The sea star looks like Linckia multifora.

     

    Crinoid may be Comanthina nobilis but I found similar looking yellow crinoids given other names.

  4. Hi Richard,

    I'll help with the easy one. Caribbean Spiny Lobster, Panulirus argus

     

    Steve

     

    Steve,

     

    Thanks!

     

    I was focused on the color patterns along the tail, which don't appear in the photos in Debelius, but I can see now that the head is a perfect match.

     

    Richard.

  5. Moray looks like a (small) giant moray (Gymnothorax javanicus) with a clear cleaner shrimp (Urocaridella antonbruunii).

     

    Clam may be a giant squamose clam (Tridacna squamosa) but I'm not sure.

     

    Cuttlefish may be broadclub cuttlefish (Sepia latimanus) but I'm not sure.

     

    I hardly dare try the squid after last time but I would probably put it under Sepioteuthis lessoniana.

     

    The sea star looks like Linckia multifora.

     

    Crinoid may be Comanthina nobilis but I found similar looking yellow crinoids given other names.

     

    Nick,

     

    Thanks, that's a big help.

     

    The moray seems to have so few distinctive features, I thought it might be unplaceable. I'm particularly glad it's Gymnothorax javanicus, I had just been doing a writeup about that species and now I have a photo to illustrate it!

     

    After going through Poppe Images I had considered Linckia multifora to be the likeliest candidate for the sea star, but there's so much color variability that I was reluctant to go with that.

     

    Can anyone else can confirm the clam and the cuttlefish?

     

    Richard.

  6. The clam is a T Maxima - which look similar to the squamosa but have a very characteristic look.

     

    Cheers

    James

  7. The clam is a T Maxima - which look similar to the squamosa but have a very characteristic look.

     

    Cheers

    James

     

     

    James,

     

    Thanks!

     

    Richard.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.