A friend suggested I switch my camera to Pal mode for better editing........what is the difference between the two - dont know what the other mode is?
- 9Posts
- 9Replies
Read-only discussion
PAL
-
-
A friend suggested I switch my camera to Pal mode for better editing........what is the difference between the two - dont know what the other mode is?
PAL is a broadcast TV standard ... there's also SECAM and NTSC ...
-
It is also the TV standard for Oz, which I believe WA is part of... even though many of you deny it.

-
donga, what camera do you have and how do you plan to deliver finished video?
-
there won't be any effect on your editing at all.....
maybe your friend was implying that due to PAL's larger number of lines, that the quality of the outputted footage will be improved (maybe?)
It'd be useful to follow Jeremy's link above and read up on the different formats...
good luck....
I'm awaiting the day that someone states that we needn't worry about it ever again because the world has put all the Cathode Ray Tube into the land fill - I mean recycling bin

NTSC..... (N.ever T.he S.ame C.olour wasn't it?)
-
I'm awaiting the day that someone states that we needn't worry about it ever again because the world has put all the Cathode Ray Tube into the land fill - I mean recycling bin

Don't hold your breath Chris, from what I understand, we're still screwed with the latest gear. Apparently my Blu-rays containing 1080-50i HDV still won't play on new USA HD TVs. Will have to convert footage to 24p to make them globally compatible.
-
Don't hold your breath Chris, from what I understand, we're still screwed with the latest gear. Apparently my Blu-rays containing 1080-50i HDV still won't play on new USA HD TVs. Will have to convert footage to 24p to make them globally compatible.
What The F?????? This is all based on archaic laws of physics that determined that Cathode Rays were inherently controlled by the electric grid that they were being used on....
these "manufacturers" need to wake up and notice that we're not using CRT any more..... ARGGGGGH!!!!
question though, (and it's not meant as a rhetorical windup, honestly....): why burn discs at 50i if they're gonna be played on a screen in progressive format?
-
question though, (and it's not meant as a rhetorical windup, honestly....): why burn discs at 50i if they're gonna be played on a screen in progressive format?
Because the playback gear generally makes an excellent job at deinterlacing (probably better than I can do in software) and because I can put my original HDV footage direct on Blu-ray.
My workflow for the Blu-rays I made so far was to cut up the HDV in Vegas, render it without recompression (except for the bits with titles) back to an HDV file, and then put that HDV file on Blu-ray (with no recompression via TMPGenc Authoring Works). In other words the Blu-ray contains the completely original untouched HDV. I like that (and it looks great).
But to be globally compatible I'm thinking of deinterlacing and slowing the footage down from 50i to 24p. Haven't tried it yet though.
-
The only reason PAL and NTSC still exist is because of Hollywood control.
The so called 50/60 hertz voltage thing is a load of *&^%.
I use to live out on the US Naval Base in Exmouth there which put two 120 volts together to get it to 240 volts, however the hertz was still USA 60 and not 50 for AUS.
Everything worked no problems, but it did make my dive compressor run faster, same with the washing machine.